Hi, I'm Emma — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Emma

Emmamo
Emmamo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. My name is Emma. I'm really new to this.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Emmamo - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining, Emma. We were all new once, but I think you will find everyone here both friendly & supportive, so don't be concerned. Please let us know if we can help in any way, whether it be with advice or support. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Emmamo :) Have you had a chance to take a look around yet? Please feel free to get involved at your own pace, and let us know if you need any help at all. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Emmamo

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you? Would you like to talk to us more about your motivations for joining Scope's forum and interests? It would be great to get to know you and to signpost you to links you may find particularly interesting and useful  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Emmamo
    Emmamo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have copd, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Really interested in what other people use for good pain relief, particularly for osteoarthritis in knees.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again, @Emmamo - I also have osteoarthrosis due to my hypermobile joints causing 'wear & tear.' I would hope your GP may advise further about meds that may help. However, as I found that the normally prescribed meds either didn't help, or made me feel ill, this is what's helped for me. Firstly gentle exercise, then, as we're all different, sometimes heat packs can work, but in others it may be a frozen pack of peas wrapped in a towel; I'm definitely a heat person having tried both!
    Your GP may also advise a pain clinic; we've had members say how good these were. There are different ways with coping with pain of any sort. After exercise, I can only say my main help is distraction (whatever you enjoy from reading to listening to music).
    There's some info on Scope you may find helpful; our mental health also matters, but please also look at the 'Exercise' section: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/75929/coping-with-stress-low-mood-and-isolation-a-support-thread/p1
    Hope this helps, & hopefully others will also reply. Take care.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Emmamo :) Along with the links chiarieds has sent you above, you may be interested in visiting our category for discussions around dealing with chronic pain.  
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness