Our son has attachment disorder and dyslexia, plus possible dyscalculia and dyspraxia. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Our son has attachment disorder and dyslexia, plus possible dyscalculia and dyspraxia. Any advice?

fudge74
fudge74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Not even sure if I'm in the right place....

Just wondering if anyone had any help or experience 

Long story short

Our adoptive son  been told by cahms that's it's attachment disorder .... And basically he will never have the mental age of an adult basically he is 13 now and is at the age of a 7 yr old but he probably won't get past the age of 12 
He has dyslexia
We tried most options to get him tested for discalulia (even to this day he still has to count on his fingers. 8+2 then 30 seconds later you ask him 2+8 he will have to repeat the operation )
He is with the o.t. to try and find out if he is disbraxic ....
He's in main stream school but it won't be long before he's left even more behind

Comments

• c1967m29146
    c1967m29146 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi from c1967m
    my daughter has Asperger and ADHD she is 21 and has a mental age of 14, she  was at main stream school until we applied for a special needs meeting, we moved her into special need schooling and wow I got my daughter back.
    Don't give up hope, it may be he has a form of autism that can be worked with.
    As a parent you won't  the best, but  what he wants, to fit in, be like other children, be happy, those answers I got 
    special needs schools help children work their way through the silibus but in a fun and better way.
    I hope  you carry on loving him no matter what.
  • fudge74
    Apparently no case of autism it's learning difficulties due to the so called foundation blocks not been put into place early in his life ...
    Just seem to be going round in circles 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @fudge74 :) 

I'm sorry to hear that you fear your son is being left behind, and that you're going around in circles. We heard other parents say the same thing, so you're not alone in feeling that way.

Does your son have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)? Is the Special Educational Needs (SEN) department at his school supportive? You can read more about SEN support and EHCPs on the Scope website.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • fudge74
    Yeah the school are very supportive
    Got a sendco department and he's got an ehcp in place

Brightness