PIP payment before decision letter. Do both components get paid together with back dated payments? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP payment before decision letter. Do both components get paid together with back dated payments?

Julie_Wynn
Julie_Wynn Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I’m hoping someone can advise me please. My husband applied for PIP at the end of March, he had his assessment a couple of weeks ago and today he received a payment in the bank but no letter yet from DWP, I do understand that the letter will (hopefully) follow soon but we are really puzzled by the amount. Do both components of PIP get paid together with back dated payments or is there a possibility that the payment is for just one component and the other will be paid in a day or so?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Both components will be paid together. The regular payment and any arrears due will be paid separately. For an arrears payment the amount may not be for a whole number of weeks which makes it hard to infer the award from the amount.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    PIP is one payment made every 4 weeks. The backdated money will all be paid together as one payment. When you receive the decision letter it will tell you when to expect the first 4 weekly payment. 
    If you’re not happy with the decision and think a higher award is possible you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Julie_Wynn
    Thank you for the replies. Is the back dated payment dated from when you first called up to request PIP or when they received the completed application form? 
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    Thank you for the replies. Is the back dated payment dated from when you first called up to request PIP or when they received the completed application form? 
    When you rang to start the claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Do you know what’s been awarded exactly? It is difficult to work out the exact amount because it will depend what the exact cut off date is for the money that’s owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    Do you know what’s been awarded exactly? 
    As I understand it OP is trying to work that out based on the amount of money received.
  • Julie_Wynn
    Do you know what’s been awarded exactly? It is difficult to work out the exact amount because it will depend what the exact cut off date is for the money that’s owed.
    It doesn’t make any sense really, I’ve tried to work it out but it just doesn’t add up. The amount was £1678.78 and we called on 30 March
  • calcotti
    edited October 2021
    It doesn’t make any sense really, I’ve tried to work it out but it just doesn’t add up. The amount was £1678.78 and we called on 30 March
    As I said, because it may not cover a whole number of weeks it’s very hard to tell. As poppy says we also don’t know the cut off date.
  • Julie_Wynn
    thank you Calcotti and Poppy, I guess we just have to be a bit more patient and wait for the letter. Thank you for your speedy replies though 
  • Snow92
    Snow92 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    based on the amount you mentioned I've calculated that you have standard daily living only from 30th march thats £60 a week for 28 weeks £1,680 so seems most likely 
  • poppy123456
    Snow92 said:
    based on the amount you mentioned I've calculated that you have standard daily living only from 30th march thats £60 a week for 28 weeks £1,680 so seems most likely 
    Can’t disagree with that. 
  • Julie_Wynn
    Snow92 said:
    Thank you. 
  • Julie_Wynn
    Snow92 said:
    Thank you. 
    That really is quite disappointing, as it looks like they have just awarded the standard daily living component and no mobility component then. I guess we will have to appeal. 
  • poppy123456
    Why do you think he should have been awarded the mobility part? Just so that you're aware, the first stage to appeal is the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) Some expert advice will be helpful at this stage to see if a mobility award is possible because it it isn't there's no point going any further. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

• Julie_Wynn
    Why do you think he should have been awarded the mobility part? Just so that you're aware, the first stage to appeal is the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) Some expert advice will be helpful at this stage to see if a mobility award is possible because it it isn't there's no point going any further. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

His mobility is severely affected due to his complex health conditions, when we completed the form his answers indicated he should qualify for the enhanced rate for mobility as well as the enhanced rate for daily living. 
    Thank you for the link I will look into challenging the decision once we have the letter from DWP detailing the claim decision
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    edited October 2021
    I’ve just had a large payment paid into my account..I did a change of circumstance review but never received as much as a phone call.  Seems it’s been done as a paper review..will wait and see what the letter says when it eventually arrives 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I just wanted to welcome you to the community too @Julie_Wynn :) It looks as though your question has been answered, which is great. Please do let us know if you have any further questions, especially if you end up submitting an MR. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Julie_Wynn
    I just wanted to welcome you to the community too @Julie_Wynn :) It looks as though your question has been answered, which is great. Please do let us know if you have any further questions, especially if you end up submitting an MR. 
    Thank you Tori

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.