being judged for my disability and not being able to work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

being judged for my disability and not being able to work

ellieflower3
ellieflower3 Community member Posts: 186 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
As many know i'm disabled, my work place was very judgemental due to not me being able to do much but I would try to complete everything as I was there to work and not to sit around. 
The only person who would be understanding my disability was my amazing manager who stood by me until I couldn't work anymore and now I work from home.
Why is it that i got judged for not being able to work? I felt bad that I was making the world a misery and I didn't know what to do as all I got was hate. Am I letting the world down?
Lilly Josh  <3
Tagged:

Comments

• ellieflower3
    Hi @ellieflower3 Sometimes people judge because they do not understand, and what they do not understand makes them uncomfortable. This is their problem not yours. You do not have to justify yourself to anyone just be yourself. You are not letting the world down. Do what you are happy and able to do and never give up. Take care.
    thank you
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected

Hi @ellieflower3

Thank you for sharing this with us.  I’m sorry to hear that this has been your experience of the workplace.  I just wanted to reassure you that you are absolutely not letting anyone down.  Are you managing ok working from home?

Please keep in touch, and let us know how you are getting on.  Our friendly and supportive community are here for you if you need any guidance.

• ellieflower3
    Fred2021 said:

Hi @ellieflower3

Thank you for sharing this with us.  I’m sorry to hear that this has been your experience of the workplace.  I just wanted to reassure you that you are absolutely not letting anyone down.  Are you managing ok working from home?

Please keep in touch, and let us know how you are getting on.  Our friendly and supportive community are here for you if you need any guidance.

hi fred. not doing good you?
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there anything particular that you're finding difficult about working from home @ellieflower3
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • ellieflower3
    Is there anything particular that you're finding difficult about working from home @ellieflower3
    getting online hate 
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear you are getting online hate @ellieflower3, what platform is that via? Have you reported what people are saying to you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ellieflower3
    Sorry to hear you are getting online hate @ellieflower3, what platform is that via? Have you reported what people are saying to you?
    instagram. and no because i am too wanting to die to care :( everything is pushing me to die
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    instagram. and no because i am too wanting to die to care :( everything is pushing me to die
    Sorry to hear that, if you do change your mind about reporting the abuse you have received then Instagram have a help page here that explains what you can do.  Additionally, you can report online hate and abuse to the police, this page on Gov.uk provides further details about how to report such things.

It's concerning to read that you want to die, is that because of what you have experienced online or are there other things that are making you feel this way? 

If you ever feel as though there is an emergency, including if you think you might be at risk of harming yourself, then please call 999 right away.

I am unsure if you saw our email from Thursday 14 October, but in that we sent over some resources that you might find helpful, and we offered to help you with getting some support. Please give our email (sent from community@scope.org.uk) a read, I will send it over again just to ensure it reaches the top of your inbox.

Thank you
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering

Why is it that i got judged for not being able to work? I felt bad that I was making the world a misery and I didn't know what to do as all I got was hate. Am I letting the world down?
    So sorry to hear you're struggling. To give an answer to your question, It's because disabled people are seen as defective in the eyes of capitalism. This logic claims it's because disabled people cannot be as productive as non-disabled people, hence have no value. A lot of people have internalised those beliefs especially rich people who are not disabled. This is not your fault. The world is letting you down.

That said, more and more people are realising (thanks to the pandemic forcing people to work remotely), working from home is not inferior to working in the workplace (and in many ways is better) because workers can put their own needs first and employers have less control over them.

A lot of people (even non-disabled people) increasingly are moving towards working from home long-term as a result. It will become more common even after the pandemic which hopefully means you'll face less issues working remotely in the future from employers.
  • ellieflower3
    Sorry to hear that, if you do change your mind about reporting the abuse you have received then Instagram have a help page here that explains what you can do.  Additionally, you can report online hate and abuse to the police, this page on Gov.uk provides further details about how to report such things.

It's concerning to read that you want to die, is that because of what you have experienced online or are there other things that are making you feel this way? 

If you ever feel as though there is an emergency, including if you think you might be at risk of harming yourself, then please call 999 right away.

I am unsure if you saw our email from Thursday 14 October, but in that we sent over some resources that you might find helpful, and we offered to help you with getting some support. Please give our email (sent from community@scope.org.uk) a read, I will send it over again just to ensure it reaches the top of your inbox.

Thank you
    hello, sorry for the late reply, I phoned my GP, but, their not taking my thoughts seriously, they said you'll be fine and told me to just try techniques, I am struggling but no one is listening. 
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • ellieflower3
    Stellar said:

So sorry to hear you're struggling. To give an answer to your question, It's because disabled people are seen as defective in the eyes of capitalism. This logic claims it's because disabled people cannot be as productive as non-disabled people, hence have no value. A lot of people have internalised those beliefs especially rich people who are not disabled. This is not your fault. The world is letting you down.

That said, more and more people are realising (thanks to the pandemic forcing people to work remotely), working from home is not inferior to working in the workplace (and in many ways is better) because workers can put their own needs first and employers have less control over them.

A lot of people (even non-disabled people) increasingly are moving towards working from home long-term as a result. It will become more common even after the pandemic which hopefully means you'll face less issues working remotely in the future from employers.
    yes, this is so true, thank you!
    Lilly Josh  <3

Brightness