Is it correct that my PIP award doesn't change my council tax support entitlement? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it correct that my PIP award doesn't change my council tax support entitlement?

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 566 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but have just received a letter from council tax. I notified and sent evidence when I was awarded PIP, and they are saying the information hasn’t changed my entitlement to CT support as my PIP is already calculated in my income. I am in receipt of UC, LWRCA, single person, my child has just started Uni, so only just sent off the evidence for that.
What I’m querying is, that they are saying PIP is already calculated. Would this be correct?
Council Tax is a minefield in itself I find!,

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    PIP isn't means tested so it's not used in the calculation to your CTR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Leigh14
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I’m really sorry Poppy, and thankyou for such a quick response, but my mind is frazzled on medication that I’m currently on, but if I’m on PIP, can the CT be lowered? I don’t understand how they can say (when I’ve only recently notified them) that PIP is already calculated in my income. Does it warrant a phone call, or are they correct? Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PIP should not be calculated in your income because it’s not means tested. It should be calculated based on your UC entitlement.
    All local Authorities have their own rules for CTR. For my local council my PIP award doesn’t lower my CTR. I don’t pay any council tax this year because my local Authority had extra funding so passed it onto low income families and reduced their CTR even further.
    Do you pay any council tax? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Bless you Poppy. Yes I pay council tax. When my son was at sixth form, I was paying £34. Then I received a new bill for Nov which is for £151. Then another bill received saying ££114 for months of Dec and Jan. I have only this week sent them information they required stating my son is in full time university, so I have no idea what, if anything, that will reduce it too.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If your son is a full time student then you will be entitled to the 25% single person discount, as you're a single person. Although this is different to council tax reduction.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou so very much for taking the time for this @poppy123456.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou @Username_removed. I’ll look into that.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Have just contacted CT, got cut off, but…. I was told before cut off that DWP had contacted them when I was awarded PIP. Do they even do that? After the cut off, I was left a voicemail saying, PIP is disregarded using my income, so they do use it as income but then disregard it.
    Assuming then, that I’m not entitled to any deduction..
    I’ve had a quick look on the council tax support scheme 2021, and all I can see so far, is for Daily Living on PIP, which is where you’d be entitled to a deduction. I shall have another look later.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes sometimes DWP do share information with your local Authority. The calculation of your PIP award being used and then disregarded is proof that letters like this often make no sense at all.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    The letters are just mind boggling!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Indeed. I remember when my daughter left full time education and i applied for the carers disregard, the letter i received made no sense at all lol. I had to ring them for them to explain it.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Do you find though that even when they explain it, it is still confusing? Maybe that’s just me though lol.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, once they explained it, it made sense.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Leigh14 said:
    Have just contacted CT, got cut off, but…. I was told before cut off that DWP had contacted them when I was awarded PIP. Do they even do that? 
    Local authorities have access to DWP data in order to inform local authority decisions about housing benefit and CTR. When thinks are working properly they will pick up changes in DWP benefits and review any applicable HB and CTR awards accordingly.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    I’ve emailed Citizens Advice in my area, as they will certainly know what’s what. I’ve more chance of talking to them than the CT office.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.