Hi, my name is evansj14! I have questions about working with a disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is evansj14! I have questions about working with a disability

evansj14
evansj14 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
Hello, nice to have found a place where I can ask questions and get advice about working with am disability.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

Is there anything specific you want to ask about working with a disability 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @evansj14 - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. This is a very friendly & supportive community, so please, as Jane says, do ask any questions about working with a disability.
  • evansj14
    I am struggling with chemo induced peripheral neuropathy after treatment for breast cancer.  I work as a teacher in a special needs school with children with severe and complex learning and physical disabilities.  It is a very physically demanding job and by the end of the day I am shuffling like a penguin because of the neuropathy.  I have asked to be able to use a wheel chair in the classroom as a reasonable adjustment but the school are not keen.  If I can’t manage I am considering trying to get ill health retirement but I am in a quandary as I love my job.  But I know I can’t do the job like I used to and feel a failure because of it.  I have been a teacher for 32 years and it’s killing me thinking I might have to leave because of ill health 
  • janer1967
    I would try and look further into the reasonable adjustments 

Ask to be referred to oh for a work place assessment and then can then make recommendations for suitable adjustments 

I don't understand why a wheelchair would be such an issue especially in a special needs environment 
  • evansj14
    Have had OH assessment which took nearly 2 hours as he didn’t really understand the job.  In the end he agreed a wheelchair might be helpful and I am going back phased return next week with one but school are not overly keen and have said if they feel it’s not working they will have to think of something else ?‍♀️?‍♀️
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @evansj14

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear of the difficulties you have been having. 

Good to hear that you are having a trial with the wheelchair, have the school explained why they are not keen on you using one? It does seem quite odd.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Maybe they think that as a wheelchair user working with children with learning and physical disabilities may impact being able to assist them should they need any hands on help, as it were.
  • evansj14
    Yeah they do but I have 2 TA’s and a 1-1 in the room with me with 9 children ?‍♀️
  • janer1967
    If they have agreed to give it a try that's all you can do for now 

Put your efforts into showing them it can work 

Don't give up yet it could all work out 

Have you looked into your pension provider ill health retirement criteria at all this can sometimes be a option but often has very strict criteria 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected

Hi @evansj14

I hope you are well.  You mentioned that you were back on a phased return this week and just wanted to ask how you were getting on?
  • evansj14
    I went back to school for a day but found it too difficult because of the pain so have gone back on the sick - not sure of the way forward yet but seeing oncologist in November so will ask the question, thank you 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @evansj14

I just want to say I'm really sorry to hear you are struggling. You are doing all the right things in working with the professionals to get you the best possible outcome. Keep being strong and prioritise your health but also remember it is ok not to be okay. Take care for now and I will look forward to hearing from you again soon. Sending hugs your way  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected

Hi @evansj14

I’m sorry to hear this.  I appreciate that dealing with this, along with your health circumstances can’t be easy and hope you are managing ok. 

Please keep in touch, and let us know how you are getting on. 

• evansj14
    edited October 2021
    Thank you all for you kind words I will let you know how i get on when i see oncologist.  I have been referred for an urgent spinal MRI to see if there is anything going on in the spine causing pain in my legs ?‍♀️
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Best wishes for the MRI @evansj14 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness