I suffer with severe depression and anxiety. I've applied for PIP again — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I suffer with severe depression and anxiety. I've applied for PIP again

Littletinyone
Littletinyone Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I suffer with severe depression and anxiety I have been waiting since the beginning of august to hear if I need a consultation for pip it makes me so anxious as to what’s going on as I tried to claim before a few years ago and what the capita reviewer said about me made me feel even worse about myself I couldn’t bare going through an appeal. I have decided to try again as I’m struggling to cope with work and my mental health. Panic attacks getting worse low mood all the time. I just need help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, backlogs for PIP claims are rather huge and the timescales is about 10 months from the date you apply to having a decision. If your timescale is less than this then you're lucky. Most people do have assessments and the majority of those are done through telephone, only some people have face to face assessments at the moment.
    If the worst does happen this time then i'd advise you to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal because very often reapplying constantly doens't help. Fingers crossed you won't have to do this and decision will go in your favour.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Littletinyone :) Welcome to the community! Thank you for joining, and for being so open and honest in your first post here.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing anxiety and depression, and that things have been getting worse recently. 

In terms of your PIP application, I'm sorry you had a negative experience with your assessment before. We've heard many people say that seeing things the assessor had written has been quite disheartening and upsetting, so you're not alone in feeling the way.

Are you happy with the examples and information you provided in your form? It's worth remembering that PIP isn't about employment, but rather daily living and mobility. You can refresh yourself on the descriptors by looking on pipinfo.net

I hope that you'll get the award you're hoping for first time around but, in case you don't, I wanted to reassure you that the process for submitting a mandatory reconsideration (MR) (Turn2Us) isn't too bad. 

Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment? Is your GP aware of how you're feeling? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Littletinyone
    Thank you all so much for your kind words this is really helpful to me. My doctor is aware of my condition and I do take tablets daily and have done for years. I have been waiting for cbt for a while but I know there is backlog due to coronavirus. I do currently get limited capacity to work allowance which I had to do a phone interview for. But I’ve always been terrified of pip after a face to face interview where the report was horrendous. I seriously cried for days after I had received that report and felt I have a disability that nobody can see but I know how I feel!!  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad your doctor is aware, and that you're on some medication @Littletinyone :) Do you find that the medication helps? 

You're right that waiting times for talking therapy can be really long sadly, but it's good that you're on the waiting list at least. Have you tried any self help type techniques to help you manage your panic attacks while you're waiting?

It's understandable that that experience would put you off. Many people with mental health problems do successfully claim PIP, however, so it's not impossible! Fingers crossed it all goes well. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Littletinyone
    I’ve had a letter from captia I have my telephone assessment next week I’m so nervous about it. I’m really scared I’ll just get put down again. Any help would be really appreciated 
  • poppy123456
    If you kept a copy of the form you return (which you should have) then have a read of the before the assessment so you can remind yourself of what you wrote. Part of the assessment will be to verify what you wrote in the form.
    Any other questions they ask will be related to how your conditions affect you. Try not to answer with just a yes or no. Give some real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.
    Some people find it helpful if they write down some reminders before the assessment. Personally, i don't find that helpful and would rather just concentrate on answering the questions, rather than look at what i've wrote.
    Make sure you phone is fully charge if you are using a mobile. Have a drink next to you, incase this is needed.
    If you don't understand the question asked then ask them to repeat it. You can have someone with you during the assessment and you can put your phone onto loud speaker.
    Assessment time can be anything from 20-120 minutes. They may not ring exactly to time so be aware of that too, especially if your assessment is a little later in the day.
    If the worst happens again and you're refused i'd advise you to challenge that decision this time. Hopefully this won't happen.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Littletinyone
    I have received my claim award and got zero for everything!! I can’t stop crying I knew they would do this to me again I feel horrendous. I don’t know what to do now I need help. It’s literally killing me 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    I note that you also claimed once before but were refused. Have you ever got some expert advice to check that you qualify? You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if you don't meet the descreiptors, you won't score the points needed for an award.
    Your next step would be to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) but please get some expert advice before doing this. Start here for this and choose the topic "welfare benefits" and it will tell you what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

• Littletinyone
    I am severely depressed and suffer with anxiety. I don’t go out not even to the supermarket I get that delivered now. I have been awarded limited capacity to work moths ago. I struggle everyday with motivation. I have no support. I’m on tablets and although my disability isn’t physically visible I’m locked inside my head and feel like nobody believes me. They really haven’t listened to anything I have said they have made out like I’m fully capable of living this life alone without any support. I know people who have successfully claimed pip and have lied about everything but I tell the truth and it’s not good enough for them. It just doesn’t seem fair what else can I do
  • poppy123456
    The limited capability for work is different, with different criteria and claiming one doesn't automatically entitle you to the other, unfortunately.
    Alot of people are often refused because of a poorly completed claim pack. When you filled out the form did you give a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you? Including information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were?
    As for others lying when claiming PIP, i won't comment on that because as you said yourself, invisible conditions do exist and no one knows what goes on behind closed doors.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Littletinyone I'm sorry to hear how you've been feeling. That must have been distressing news to receive, can I ask what exactly you mean by "It's literally killing me"?

You mention you're living with depression and anxiety, apart from the tablets, are you getting any other support for your mental health? Perhaps you could let your doctor know they don't seem to be working as well as they could be, if you're still feeling very distressed and anxious.

Maybe take a look at Hub of Hope to see if you can find some support in your area. Did you know you can refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local authority? That might be easier for you to do from home as well. 

Take some time to look after yourself, talk to your loved ones, then when you feel ready you can look at Mandatory Reconsideration as our members have advised. Citizens Advice also has some helpful information. 

If you need any extra support then please say, we're here to support you. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @Littletinyone

I just wanted to check in to see how you're getting on? I hope you've managed to take some time to look after yourself :)

Did you manage to speak to your doctor about your mental health and how you're currently feeling? I know it might seem daunting to chat to them, but they can potentially help you and alter your medication, so it's more effective for your needs. 

We are here for you, so please reach out if you would like to chat or have any other questions for us. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Littletinyone
    hi Libby, I’m so grateful for your message it’s really lovely of you to think of me. 
    My doctors have doubled one of my medications for depression. 
    I did call the pip call centre for a mandatory reconsideration I was really upset at the time after getting that awful letter. I’ll have to see what they respond to that. 
    Just such an awful letter basically saying ‘you said you couldn’t but I have decided you can’ 
    i really don’t understand how they can make these decisions on a phone conversation basically telling me I’m a liar!! Even tho they have apparently got my doctors records which include my meds and facts like I was involved in home treatment and am in regular contact with my mental health team. It’s just so upsetting. I have tried to put it to the back of my mind for now I have been getting some awful migraines and sleeping a lot again. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    I'm so glad that you ended up speaking to your GP about your medication and that they've now corrected it for you :) 

I can imagine you felt extremely disappointed in their decision and that's understandable. Although the decision wasn't what you had hoped for, hopefully the mandatory reconsideration process will be successful and you will be awarded the appropriate entitlement. 

I think that's a really good idea and focus on your self and the mandatory reconsideration process moving forward. I'm sorry you're experiencing a lot of migraines. Do you know what your triggers might be for them? I suffer from migraines too, and I know heat, a lack of sleep, and diet impacts whether I get them or not! 

Good luck with the mandatory reconsideration process and please keep us all up to date :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.