Who to turn to ? Am i overreacting ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who to turn to ? Am i overreacting ?

natz2009
natz2009 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
Who do you turn to when you have no friends and no one u can turn to for understanding will a professional help or just make me feel worse i try and talk to my sister but she dosent understand she says she dose but jer situation is completly diffrent from mine she has friends family and a partner that visits her on a daily basis she dosent know what its like to have no friends no visits no social network even on social midia it was my birthday last month my mum my dad n my sister commented that was it n i am appriceative of them but ive not spoken to a "friend" in over a year now and am just struggaling with it a lot n i dont feel like anyone i talk to i.e sister mum truly understand how this feels x and please no nasty comments as ive had in the past im just looking for a bit of friendly advice and a chat p.s my mum n sister live in glasgow i live in england and so dose my dad 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    As @Teddybear12 says many people have become isolated because of the pandemic, I'm sorry you have had nasty comments in the past and hope it wasn't on this forum? Do you have any interest or hobbies you could pursue that might lead to making new friends? Facebook groups can often be another way to get involved with new people.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• natz2009
    I had 2 friends went through a lot with the they where my friends for 11/12 years and for past year have been ignored i have tried to reach out to them but still been ignored b4 the pandemic his i was quite happy with my little life i had 2 gd friends my kids my ex partner n my dad and thats all i ever really wanted i just dont understand why i just got dropped of my friends of so many years im 32 and the thought of trying to make new friends at this age seem impossible i feel like im going to be very lonly for the rest of my life i only have my ex and my dad near me i dont know anyone else and im not sure if speaking to a professional will help or not sorry for the long paragraph and thank you for your reply x 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Ten years ago at the age of 50+ we upped and moved 40 miles away, and we have made some really good new friends over the last few years, it wasn't easy we had to work at it but making new friends is always worth the effort.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

There are some charities whi run buddy systems so you can have regular contact with other people 

I'm not sure of the name but you could see if any in your area 
  • natz2009
    Thanks for all your replies and kind words im very socialy awkward is the word mayby i will look and see if there is anything on my area also my mobility is really bad so most of the time struggle to get around just sick of feeling so low and lonely wish i could just forgwt and move on x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @natz2009 :) I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling lonely at the moment. It can be really difficult when you feel isolated, and aren't sure where to start. No age is too old to make new friends, and you might be surprised by how many other people are in a similar position to you.

I can be quite socially awkward too, and find it difficult to put myself out there. I've been thinking of joining a social group, so have been looking on sites like Meetup to see if there's anything that catches my eye. Have you had a look to see if there's anything on there that interests you? 

Your local council may also be able to point you towards some local groups, have you tried contacting them?

Do you have any hobbies or interests, or anything you've always wanted to try out? 

As Janer1967 has said, there are also a number of telephone befriending services out there. These are often run more locally, so that's another thing to keep an eye out for. 

I understand that you're unsure about whether speaking to a professional could help. I'd say that if you're unsure, but feel as though you have some thoughts and feelings that you'd like to talk through with someone, it could be worth looking into. Have you spoken to your GP about how you've been feeling at all?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness