Appealing son's School Placement. The LA have a barrister for the hearing. Anyone been through this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appealing son's School Placement. The LA have a barrister for the hearing. Anyone been through this?

Emma_Oak
Emma_Oak Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in Education
First post! 
My son has been allocated a school 45 minutes away, instead of the one 10 minutes away. 
Both schools are suitable but the one closer says they are full. 
We are appealing for a long lost of reasons concerning his safety and wellbeing. 
Just found out through the first response that the LA have a barrister for the hearing. 
Has anyone been through this? 
Tagged:

Comments

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Are you appealing the decision not to admitt your son to a specific school or has this already happened? I used to sit on school admissions appeals panel awhile ago and maybe able to offer you some lay advice but need to know which stage you are at.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Emma_Oak

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out for the first time. Unfortunately, I do not have personal experience of having a barrister for hearings. However, on a more professional note, I wanted to say that (a) you are more than welcome to contact IPSEA and SEN Tribunal for more support with this and (b) you might be able to get your child's preferred school written in an EHCP if your child has an EHCP, you will just need to contact your local authority to get consideration for this. On a more personal note, I just want to say that I am so sorry to hear you are experiencing such a tough time. I hope it is a comfort for you to know that we are here for you if there is anything at all that you need and that we can support you with. Please keep us updated as much as you wish  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness