My friend's been told she's had a WCA and is fit to work, but she hasn't had a WCA or done the form? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My friend's been told she's had a WCA and is fit to work, but she hasn't had a WCA or done the form?

Options
marebie
marebie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
hello, am new here and am glad to have chance this community forum via web browsing in search of answers.
I am currently helping a friend who has been mandated by UC to go back to work even if she's still under treatment for Lymph-TB and chronic Hep-B (after having completed chemo&radiotherapy for lymphoma cancer in may2019).  UC claims that my friend has completed a work capability assessment and evaluation deemed her to be capable to work. However, we are at a loss as to how an assessment was made when she has not completed GU50 form nor has had an assessment by phone.  Where can we ask for copy of GU50 and Assessment decsion?
thank you for your advise

Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @marebie

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise and I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you soon. However, in the meantime, I wanted to thank you for reaching out. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out for the first time! If there is anything else you would like our support with, please don't hesitate to reach out again  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

This all sounds strange as you say there is normally a uc50 form completed and an assessment to decide on fitness to work 

I suggest a note on her journal mark it payment query then a case manager should see it 

Explain what has happened and ask for the reason why the process has not been followed 

Or contact her work coach though they don't always give the best advise 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Can you provide a bit more history.
    Was she claiming UC while having the treatment in 2019? Was she treated as having LCWRA at the time?
    If she was previously treated as having LCWRA then her status can only be changed if a WCA is carried out and, as you say, a UC50 would have to be issued to be completed and returned. If that hasn't happened I think she needs to request a mandatory Reconsideration of the decision to find her Fit for Work on the grounds that she has not participated in a WCA and has not had the opportunity to complete a UC50 and supply any other relevant information to inform a WCA.
    You can certainly ring and ask for a copy of the assessment report.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Options
    Seems strange but nothing surprises me giving DWP's record of stamping on the citizens' fundamental human rights. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Im wondering if they were found fit for work for failing to return the UC50 form? When claiming UC if you’re referred for the WCA you will receive a letter on your journal telling you to expect a form in the post. You can check the journal for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.