If I ask for a reduction in hours due to disability, could I remain on the same contract? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I ask for a reduction in hours due to disability, could I remain on the same contract?

Options
jeand
jeand Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
I want to know if I ask for a reduction in hours due to disability would this mean another contract or could I remain on the same contract but just work fewer hours a week. My current contract means I het sick pay but my company's new contracts do not include sick pay. I dont want to be disadvantaged because of having a newly diagnosed disability. 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jeand

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise and I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you soon. However, in the meantime, I wanted to say thanks for reaching out. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out for the first time. You may also find the Government's website about employment contracts useful. If you are interested, you can find it at https://www.gov.uk/your-employment-contract-how-it-can-be-changed  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If you want to reduce your hours on a permanent basis then you would no doubt be given a new contract

It is possible to have a variation to your current contract where the only change would be the hours worked 

This is down to your employer as they may enforce new contracts for any changes 

I would put in a request for reasonable adjustments under the equality act for reduced hours 
  • ellieflower3
    ellieflower3 Community member Posts: 186 Courageous
    Options
    jeand said:
    I want to know if I ask for a reduction in hours due to disability would this mean another contract or could I remain on the same contract but just work fewer hours a week. My current contract means I het sick pay but my company's new contracts do not include sick pay. I dont want to be disadvantaged because of having a newly diagnosed disability. 
    I got told of for reducing my hours but then my manager stuck up for me and said she's disabled leave her be. felt like i was being picked on
    Lilly Josh  <3
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Options

Hi @jeand

A warm welcome to the community, it’s great to have you here.  Thank you for sharing this with us. 

As janer1967 has mentioned, if you haven’t already, it might be worth speaking to your employer about the possibility of reducing your hours as a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act.  Further information can be found here:  Reasonable adjustments at work

For free and impartial information relating to employment legislation in this situation, you may wish to contact ACAS:  ACAS Helpline

I hope some of this information is useful for you.  Please keep us posted with how you are getting on.

In the meantime feel free to explore the rest of our community.

Brightness