Hypothetical question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hypothetical question

Options
janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all 

Hoping someone can answer me this query after debates with a friend 

Someone on uc as single person with child element,  housing element and lcwra , living in housing association property 

If a partner was to move in I know it would go to joint claim and about work allowance and such 

But what would happen if the partner was a high earner say 100k per year is there a cut off where there is no entitlement to uc .

Don't all shout at me I know if someone earns this amount you wouldn't expect them to be claiming any benefits 

I just really wanted to know if there is a earnings limit as such that stops a uc claim I presume there is or if not everyone would claim 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Yes, there's an earnings limit because UC is a means tested benefit. What a persons earnings limit is would depend on what their maximum UC entitlement is. It's also not annual income, it's earnings received during your assessment period.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Thanks poppy 

I did manage to find an answer eventually it said any earnings over 2.5k in the assessment period so would calculate to around 30k per year which makes perfect sense 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    janer1967 said:..I did manage to find an answer eventually it said any earnings over 2.5k ..
    As poppy said though there isn't a single figure because it will entirely depend on what the maximum UC entitlement is and how it is made up. 

The nil UC income threshold will be very different for a single healthy claimant with no housing costs as against, say, a couple with numerous children, some of whom are disabled with one of the adults getting LCWRA and the other entitled to carer element.

More information here
    https://ucnotes.co.uk/universal-credit-home-page/the-coronavirus/earnings-limit/
    Th page is a bit out of date but shows the wide variance that will occur (without me having to work it out!)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Thanks both of you fully understand now 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.