Preliminary hearing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Preliminary hearing

shellbell20
shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
Just had a 2-hour hearing and it did not go well at all. I was completely out of my depth and when asked for responses from the judge I felt like they were not correct. I felt like words were being put in my mouth in a way, or my words were misunderstood and I wanted to shout out no that is not the case, that's not what I wanted to articulate and it's not what I am trying to explain and it all seemed to get twisted. I don't want to be perceived as a liar, but the meeting was long and at times rushed due to the time limit.  From the judge's tone, or how I feel the judges tone was and off the cuff comments I feel I have already lost this case. Now they are holding a preliminary hearing for me to prove my disability and they are asking to extend the 3-day hearing to four days. It's a whole mess and I feel exhausted, defeated and a whole host of other things. It's too much given my state of health. I wish I had the money for a lawyer. 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there I'm sorry you feel it didn't go well and I understand how hard it must be to do this without representation 

Have you had any support from ACAS at all 
  • shellbell20
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there I'm sorry you feel it didn't go well and I understand how hard it must be to do this without representation 

Have you had any support from ACAS at all 
    I didn't even know ACAS could help. I have had zero support. I have tried to get legal aid just now, but because I joined a union after my dismissal who say they prioritise advice to people who were paying fees before they were dismissed it seems it cancelled any help with legal aid. So basically other than one hour's a free consultation with a charity. I have had no help and it seems no one will help me. I am out of my depth and sinking rapidly because I am not a solicitor and there's just no help around, other than paying for a solicitor that I cannot afford.
  • janer1967
    I would contact acas that's what they are there for and can point you in the right direction 
  • shellbell20
    janer1967 said:
    I would contact acas that's what they are there for and can point you in the right direction 
    Oh, I didn't know that, I will try them tomorrow. Thanks for the advice/
  • janer1967
    Ok let us know how you get on 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected

Hi @shellbell20

Thank you for sharing this with us.  I’m sorry to hear that this has been your experience and hope you are managing ok.

As a previous post has mentioned, for free and impartial information relating to employment legislation in this situation, you may wish to contact ACAS:  ACAS Helpline

Please let us know how you are getting on, or if there is any further assistance we can provide.

Brightness