Phone call from decision maker - PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Phone call from decision maker - PIP

bastro
bastro Community member Posts: 6 Listener
As the title suggests I had a phone call from a pip decision maker this morning regarding my MR (scored 0 points), I had asked for the decision maker to call me to get the information since my writing is poor, but the person I spoke to when I requested the MR said it wouldn't be possible, so I'm surprised I got a call at all. On the call she asked all the questions from the form and took down what I was saying, I actually repeated exactly what I said near enough to what I had said in the assessment. 

Would this mean that she is now likely to side with the original decision more based on the fact I have said the same thing essentially?

Prior to the end of the call she also said that if the decision she makes today isn't the decision I want, I can request another MR prior to going to appeal, is this correct?

Personally I'm not going to get my hopes up despite her sounding quite nice, since I know occasionally they do mislead people that way, and I've been trying for PIP since DLA ended, just this time it's the first time I've spoken to a decision maker myself, so I'm familiar with the system a little bit. 

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    They do sometimes ring people before making a decision, it doesn't mean anything other than they rang you.
    If the MR decision remains the same, no you can't request another MR. After this it's Tribunal.
    You said you've tried claiming PIP previously? Did you take it to Tribunal? To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used will likely see constant refusals.
    Have you got some expert advice to check that you qualify? Start here for this. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bastro
    bastro Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    They do sometimes ring people before making a decision, it doesn't mean anything other than they rang you.
    If the MR decision remains the same, no you can't request another MR. After this it's Tribunal.
    You said you've tried claiming PIP previously? Did you take it to Tribunal? To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used will likely see constant refusals.
    Have you got some expert advice to check that you qualify? Start here for this. https://advicelocal.uk/

I had been aware of that yes, however the wording of what she said was what caught me off guard, like saying I could go to MR again if I don't get the right decision etc. 

Unfortunately no, I went through the MR several times while I was with my ex but stopped it there cause it was too stressful at that time. However applying while living on my own means it was a completely different claim to the first few since I now can't do anything (my ex partner did it all before) 

Another thing I had forgotten about is she also asked whether the back payment (if any) should be paid as a lump sum or if I would like to discuss my options regarding a larger payment. Any idea why that would be? I've googled extensively today and can't find any trace of it being asked before? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    bastro said:
    Another thing I had forgotten about is she also asked whether the back payment (if any) should be paid as a lump sum or if I would like to discuss my options regarding a larger payment. Any idea why that would be? I've googled extensively today and can't find any trace of it being asked before? 
    It’s a new safeguarding procedure to offer claimants due large arrears the choice to be paid in instalments if they prefer because they are concerned about their ability to sensibly manage a large one off payment. You are entitled to a single payment if that is your preference.

See Social Security Benefits (Claims and Payments) (Amendment) Regulations 2021
    The explanatory memorandum is here
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/1065/memorandum/contents
    This Statutory Instrument enables the Department, with the claimant’s consent, to stagger payments of benefit arrears rather than have to pay the whole amount as a lump sum, where the Department believes it is necessary to protect the interests of the claimant.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.