DLA form - why are the spaces to write in so small? How many pages of additional info is acceptable? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA form - why are the spaces to write in so small? How many pages of additional info is acceptable?

Options
Sumi
Sumi Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
1- why are the spaces to write in so small? They were small before and now they’re a quarter of the size? What is the point? Is it so people can’t give valuable information? Like the question about Communication gives you space for less than one sentence, especially on the printed version with lines
2- how many pages of addition info would be acceptable? It use to take me 4-6 and now with the reduction in box size it’s currently at 15 and I still need to cover mobility 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    There’s nothing stopping anyone using extra sheets of A4 paper when filling out these types of forms. There’s no maximum amount of extra sheets you should use. Just make sure you clearly state which question it’s related to and put your name and NI number (if applicable) on each extra sheet. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sumi
    Options
    I think so @Username_removed it has the code DLA1A 04/21 on it. I’ve seen there is now a 07/21 where questions are at different number but both have the size problem and no space at all, it’s so much smaller than before.

My son receives low rate dla and this is his renewal. I do think it was too low last time but didn’t appeal and have left it until now as it was only a short award so spent the year reading up on it ready for this. 

@poppy123456 do I need to add my own national insurance number to each page or his child benefit number? Or both? 
  • Sumi
    edited October 2021
    Options
    That’s perfect, thank you for your help. 

I do have one remaining question if anyone might know. 
    I saw some advice on here some time ago for pip - which I know is different but felt like it applied. To poorly paraphrase it was to write in sections that you may not score points in but could help provide a bigger picture story and support what you’ve said elsewhere
    In addition to other things my son has facial blindness so although his vision is fine he cannot recognise people very easily. To name a few examples it is much  worse if he bumps into them inexpertly or out of context or they have changed their clothing style or hair style. If I wear my glasses or have my hair up to collect him from school he will walk straight past me. 
    This has contributed to his social anxiety and he gets very distraught should his older siblings change their appearance, such as his sister having a dramatic hair cut a few months ago and he still panics when she enters a room unsure who she is. He often guesses at who people are which can lead to him thinking strangers are actually people he knows and also avoid people he knows, thinking they’re a stranger. 
    I have explained this in great detail in the communication section and the impact it has on his speech, but I wondered if it is relevant anywhere else that I’m not thinking of? 
    Under sight it asks about whether you can recognise someone across a street or a room, which he can’t, but he has no visual difficulties so it doesn’t feel correct to comment here. 
  • Sumi
    Options
    Wonderful, thank you kindly!

Would you know:
    If the renewal pack takes a while to be scanned on their system - current award expires 22nd October - does that mean it gets classed as a new claim? If so, are there any negatives to that, aside from potentially losing a few days? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    At the moment there's huge postal delays and it's taking several weeks for mail to be scanned onto the computer. I owuld think the current award should be extended until a decision's been made on the review. Although you are rather late sending the review forms back.
    All claims should be classed as a new claim by everyone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sumi
    Options
    It is quite late but I only received them about a month ago so have tried my best. 
    Super news that it makes no difference and each is just treated like a new claim. It means at worst I’ve only done us out of a few days of extra support, not ideal but manageable. 
    It’s been lovely having you both help me, thank you a lot! Hopefully I won’t need more advice but it’s good to know I have somewhere I can ask if I do 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sumi said:
    It means at worst I’ve only done us out of a few days of extra support, not ideal but manageable. 

You won't lose out on anything. If the worst happens and the DLA ends on that date, if awarded successfully, it's backdated to the date it stopped.
  • Sumi
    Options
    Hello I spoke to DLA today who said the form has been already been scanned on and accepted as a renewal and that they are processed by decision makers in date order of expiry so I hope I won’t need to wait too long. It was scanned on to the system the same day it arrived with them so can’t fault that at all 
  • Sumi
    Options
    Happy to say we had a super quick turn around and have had the decision already and I’m really pleased with it. 
    For a DLA renewal is the date the new award begins meant to be from when they received the renewal pack, when they made the decision, or the date the old award ends?
    The start date was a few days after the decision letter date, the day after old award was meant to expire. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.