Adults Asperger's Obsessions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adults Asperger's Obsessions

Options
Woodyard
Woodyard Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello. 
My name is David I am 50 years old and undiagnosed asperger's waiting assessment.
All of my life i have had various Obsessions and I just thought it was normal. I do have one particular obsession that I have spent every waking hour of everyday from since I can remember thinking about. I can't remember a day or an hour when I haven't thought about this particular obsession. I think It will be in my mind every day and every hour for the rest of my life. I can't imagine my life without it. It is as much part of me as the colour of my hair. I go to this place in my mind as my happy place when I'm struggling. My first thoughts about it was at nursery school. It stayed with me through school and college all the way to now. I don't want to tell anyone about the specifics. I have only ever told a counseller in confidence. 
Sorry for going on, i just wandered if anyone out there had the same experience with obsessions. Sorry for bothering you all. Thank you.
Kind regards,
David. 

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 539 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi David, Welcome to the community.

I have autism and have had quite a few obsessions, like for instance I can get an idea in my head, then I will put 200% into it, researching it and working on it non stop till I burn myself out. It seems I can't do anything unless i've either obsessed over it for a while or I won't have any motivation to do it. This had led me to do some pretty weird things such as going pagen for like a year and learning all about energy and spells.

I also play games alot and used to play roleplaying games and created a gaming persona / personality, I obsessed so much over this that I eventually changed my name in real life to the gaming persona I had and kept this name to this day.

I've also had some obsessions/habits that I have never been able to get rid of since I was a baby such as having a blanket/comforter which I like to smell all day everyday. I'm also obsessed with labels in clothes and will cut them out and play with them religiously with my fingers all day. I have bought clothes in the past just for the fact they had a nice label to play with.

I had delayed speaking when I was younger and didn't speak for ages, and when I did speak I had a speech impediment so no one could understand me. This wasn't helped for the fact I never got rid of my dummy till really late in life and so made my speech even worse.

From my understanding its harder to change a routine so something I have got used to doing I can't seem to remove it from my life, I am very immature for my age as my family say I still act and sound like a teenager even though I am 30 now, and I have always been delayed in maturing or learning something.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Woodyard
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Rubin. 
    Some of your obsessions sound pretty cool. I went through a spell of thinking i was Jim Morrison from the doors. I grew my hair long and listened to his music non stop so roll playing sounds cool. I cut my labels out as well, but that is because they are prickly and make me anxious. I don't throw them away i save them in a little box. I bought a proper stitch un-picker to do it. I'm sorry to hear about your problems though. I didnt mean to hurt or upset anyone. Thank you so much for yo time and attention.
    Kind regards, 
    David. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi all, 

Keep being yourselves! From a fellow autistic adult  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Woodyard
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words L_Volunteer.  :)
    (what does pronouns:she/her mean) 
  • euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Options
    Woodyard said:
    Thanks for your kind words L_Volunteer.  :)
    (what does pronouns:she/her mean)
    They help others recognise an individual's gender identification - takes the guess work out of the equation and avoids potential faux pas when first names / screen names are not gendered.  They also remind us not to take a person's gender for granted.
  • Woodyard
    Options
    Thank you for the help euro. I'm not very good with stuff like this, bit of a dinasour really. Didn't mean to upset or offend anyone. Thank you ? 

Brightness