Relative statement to support UC50 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Relative statement to support UC50

Options
feeky1973
feeky1973 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
Hi we've finally received UC50 form. Going to collect statements from relatives to support application. Just wondering if anyone knows what kinds of things to include? Or know where we could find suggestions? The form says they can write about how the health condition effects daily life. Wondering whether to describe broadly or give specific examples?  Also would describing how they've been effected since childhood be relevant or are they solely interested in hearing about how it effects them now and their ability to  work/not work?  Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't need to write your life story because that's not really relevant. Less is often more.
    What matters is now and how your conditions affect your life now. Letters from family will only help if they know exactly how your conditions affect you. Adding examples of any incidents that have happened recently will certainly help. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Have you had a look at the descriptors for LCW and LCWRA to see if you qualify for either of those? You will only receive extra money if you're found to have LCWRA. See links for both descriptors.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi @feeky1973. Definitely give specific and detailed examples. This is your anecdotal evidence so detail is key and this applies to when you fill out the form too.

As an example if someone was answering question 14, 'Coping with change' and had panic attacks in response to change, it wouldn't be enough to say: I can't cope with change, it causes me to have panic attacks and I get really upset'.

Firstly, panic attacks can look different to different people. Secondly, this is an assertion rather than anecdotal evidence.
    It would be much better to think of a couple of actual examples of something that changed and how that impacted you. When did it happen? Who was there? What happened? How? Then what? Any knock-on effects to the rest of the day, etc. 

The assessor is mainly concerned with how you are now rather than during your childhood and are specifically looking at things that are relevant to the descriptors.

Have you looked over the descriptors for LCW and LCWRA?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Sorry must have been typing my response when @poppy123456 replied, thanks for linking to the descriptors Poppy! :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.