I was diagnosed with partial deafness around 3 years ago. I'm wondering about lip reading classes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was diagnosed with partial deafness around 3 years ago. I'm wondering about lip reading classes

Options
Nadina
Nadina Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Good morning everyone, my name is Nadina I was diagnosed with partial deafness around three years ago , and was just wondering about doing lip reading classes to help as it is steadily getting worse .

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Nadina :) How are you today?

Thanks for joining the community. I've moved your post into our category for discussions relating to sensory impairments so that others who might have experienced something similar will be able to find your post more easily.

I think a lip reading class sounds great. Have you been able to find any that you can access, such as a local one or one you can do online?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Nadina
    Nadina Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Tori , no I haven’t found any yet , just something I am thinking about at moment, as we don’t go out to crowded places , although I wear in the ear hearing aids I still have problems hearing people when the music is on and it’s loud . 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Nadina - & welcome to the community. I've had a look online, & there's a site recommended by the RNID for lipreading practice (which also contains lots of good advice & tips) that's free to access. Going to an actual class is endorsed, but perhaps you might like to try this at home too. Please see: http://lipreadingpractice.co.uk/

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Nadina and a warm welcome to the community! I have hearing loss, and also a vision impairment too. I did attend a lip-reading class in early 2019, but ended up using my tablet which converted speech to text... which defeated the whole point. If it is only partial deafness that you have then I would recommend attending a class. 

But if you have multi-sensory impairments like me, then I would advise against it. Good luck! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness