Do I have to repay my backdated payment from ESA to UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to repay my backdated payment from ESA to UC?

Options
Stacy87
Stacy87 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi

I understand that your esa payment is taken out completely from UC payment. 

Can anyone clarify if it is the same with a backdated payment from esa? They have told me that it will be backdated to the 1st September. Does that mean when my statements are updated on the UC website, I would then owe the backdated payment to UC?

I have asked UC, however, they have not got back to me as of yet. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you were claiming UC at the time in which you asked for the ESA to be backdated to then yes, you will have an overpayment for UC. They will need recalculate all your statements from the date your ESA started to find out exactly how much you owe.
    They will likely reduce your UC further each month to repay what you owe. Or, you can keep the ESA backdated money to pay UC back for the overpayment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Stacy87
    Stacy87 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    That's great. Thank you for your help. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.