Retirement based on grounds of ill health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Retirement based on grounds of ill health

Dspencer9
Dspencer9 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
I have been going my job now in the prison for 3 years managing my complex I’ll health. Over time my absence due to ill health like Type 1 Diabetes, ADHD, Bipolar Disorder and Epilepsy. I still have a plethora of consultants it no longer have a CPN and over time meds have been increased and shifts now changed to regular Monday to Frid hours and Access to Work have done a WPA abd given me a grant of £1,500, however my mental health has taken over yet again and seems to be the doming factor but my Union Rep has been amazing and may try and arrange another meeting after this last month off, but I have to be prepared he may say “enough is enough” and ask me to leave but my rep has had some ideas and plans?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dspencer9 welcome. It's good that you have a rep to fight for you in the work place. You could talk to the rep beforehand and put your concerns and see what plans he/she have for your meeting. Also have you spoke to your gp about your mental heath? Might be worth approaching. Good luck in your meeting 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Is there any advice you are looking for sorry it's not clear from your post as you mentioned retirement in your title 

You need to refer to your pension provider to see the criteria for ill health retirement 

It is possible but not easy to obtain as they need to be satisfied that you can no longer or in the future be fit for work 
  • Dspencer9
    Dspencer9 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Access to Works grant was to keep me in my job, work have lost three members of staff too. Although work have said I’m good at my job when I’m well that isn’t that often. Ive gone past a stage 3 and now past a stage 1 again before this current period of one month. I’m hoping while I’m off that my ADHD and psychiatrist will sort my meds as I have coaching and allow me to either return to my job under better terms or retirement payoff, but this will all be done under the watchful eye of my prison union rep

Brightness