I need to go back to part time. Am I able to do this? Does this come under RA or flexible working? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need to go back to part time. Am I able to do this? Does this come under RA or flexible working?

Options
Beechwatch
Beechwatch Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
I went from part time to full time but after three months due to my disability I need to go back to part time.
Am I able to do this?
Does this come under reasonable adjustment or flexible working due to my disability?
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Beechwatch hi and welcome to scope, have you discussed this with your manager?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,987 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Beechwatch welcome to the forum.
    I agree  speak to your manager or HR would be who you should talk to then see if there going to adhere to it. Then you can take it from there. Maybe get a referral to your works oc health.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

It could be classed as either reasonable adjustments are in the main requested due to health or disability 

Flexible working is in main requested for caring responsibility eg child care or carer for another person 

I suggest you first discuss with your manager or hr department.  You can request reasonable adjustments it is however a request and not a given but there needs to be a valid reason for rejection 
  • Beechwatch
    Options
    What would be a valid reason to refuse? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    Options
    In your case eg reduction in hours could be how the workload could be managed if they can afford to employ another person to take on the workload , if they can find right skill level

It's not likely reduced hours woul cause an issue

I was just pointing out that reasonable adjustments only have to be considered if there is a high cost or loss of business due to the request it can be refused 9r if it puts others at risk 

• Beechwatch
    Options
    Didn't know whether it matters that I only changed from part time to full time under flexible working (thinking that I can do the job) a short while ago?

I dont know whether it makes a difference but I work in public sector?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the same answer still applies, talk to your line manager and/or HR dept.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you a member of a trade union? If so they maybe able to offer advice or support you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    Options
    It doesn't really matter where you work but the expectations is the larger the organisation is the more resources there are to accommodate reasonable adjustments 

Have you asked yet to reduce your hours? 

I wouldn't worry it is a perfectly reasonable request and think you are thinking too much into it 

Probably my fault for explaining that it can be refused it wasn't my intention to cause you concern was just giving you information 
  • ScoliFibroGirl
    ScoliFibroGirl Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Options
    Have you perhaps thought working some of full time hours from home if it’s practical in your line of work. Obviously not practical if you are driver, carer, work in retail etc. 
    but could be possible for admin roles.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    Options
    What would be a valid reason to refuse? 
    in almost all cases there is no valid reason and its basically legalised discrimination.

OP you would be better off just looking for another job.
  • janer1967
    Options
    @Stellar

Sorry to disagree but there are lots of valid reasons why ra can be refused which is why the legislation from the equality act makes the provision for refusal if the request is deemed un reasonable 

Hence the word reasonable adjustments,  it is not discrimination its called running a business 

If you had your own business and the cost of a ra put your business at risk and the other employees then you simply would not be able to granting the request 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Options

Hi @Beechwatch

A warm welcome to the community.

Just wanted to see how you are getting on, and if you had managed to speak to your manager or HR?

All the best.  

• Beechwatch
    Options
    Thank you everybody I have spoke to my Manager whom has been helpful and accomodating. She has put in adjustments for me to work at a different location. See how I get on
  • Hugo51
    Hugo51 Community member Posts: 53 Connected
    Options
    @Beechwatch, great news, hope all goes well 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope that all goes well @Beechwatch :) It's great that she's being supportive. Let us know how you get on!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness