My partner is registered partially blind, and I receive CA. Do we get council tax discount? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My partner is registered partially blind, and I receive CA. Do we get council tax discount?

marinogiosi
marinogiosi Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My partner is registered partially blind with the council and I receive carer allowance do we get any discount with council tax?
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marinogiosi

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Unfortunately, council tax reduction is not my area of expertise which means I am hoping someone with more knowledge in this area can respond to you soon with more specific advice. However, in the meantime, the Government outlines the eligibility for council tax reduction as follows:

"Not available in Northern Ireland
    There's a different scheme in Northern Ireland.
    You could be eligible if you're on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.
    You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.
    What you get depends on:
    • where you live - each council runs its own scheme
    • your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
    • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner's income
    • if your children live with you
    • if other adults live with you" 
    For more information and to apply, please see https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction. I hope this helps! However, if you have any additional questions, need anything to be further clarified, or have something else you need our support with, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    L_Volunteer said: However, in the meantime, the Government outlines the eligibility for council tax reduction as follows..
    OP is asking about Council Tax discounts which are different to Council Tax Reduction.

I am not aware of a discount for visual impairment.
    Council Tax Discounts - Turn2us

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.