Does it matter if you choose not to attend the tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does it matter if you choose not to attend the tribunal?

Options
Snow92
Snow92 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
asking a question for a family member as she doesn't want to make a scope account does it matter if you chose not to attend tribunal? could this factor make it worse? she's feeling really anxious and I've got no experience of tribunal as i won my pip at mr stage any experiences or stories to help her feel less anxious would be highly appreciated 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tribunals can be won when paper based only - but you will need a strong written submission to improve your chances.

Generally tribunals rely strongly on the opportunity to question the claimant in order to explore the issues raised by the tribunal. Not attending greatly reduces the chance of success because it leaves the tribunal reliant on the paperwork.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Paper based hearings have less than 10% success rate. Most hearings are still being done via telephone, for their best chance of success it is in their best interest not to choose the paper appeal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Snow92
    Snow92 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    is it possible to change the choice she made and opt to attend? or is it too late

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    She will need to contact HMCTS and tell them she wishes to attend.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.