UC non dependent. How do I confirm my relationship to my friend who loves with me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC non dependent. How do I confirm my relationship to my friend who loves with me?

Options
PolPol
PolPol Community member Posts: 7 Connected
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I live in a 3 bed house, claim UC with LCWRA, and PIP higher rate both elements. My friend lives in one of my rooms (not on tenancy and not linked to me financially or romantically) He pays no rent as he does all housework and claims carer allowance for me. The 3rd room was taken by my adult son who has now moved out.

Until now I've had no problems with my UC claim until I reported my son moving out (fully expected housing bedroom tax). UC have put the following on my 'to do' list:-

"Hello, When making your claim, you declared that you live with a non-dependant. In order to complete your claim, we need to know your relationship to your non-dependant (i.e. partner, joint tenant, sibling etc.). Please complete this to-do, confirming your relationship to your non-dependant. If you do not provide this information on time, it may affect your payments."

It's as if I'm starting claim from scratch. UC expect me to upload documents confirming my relationship. What on earth documents can I upload confirming my relationship to my friend? 

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Your friend counts as a non dependant and you are therefore allowed a bedroom for them. However normally there would be a housing costs contribution deduction from your UC housing element for him (assuming aged 21 or over). In your case, because you get Daily Living PIP, there will be no deduction.

If your claim started in the last 18 months the To Do is probably prompted by the fact that UC are 'tidying up' all claims made during this period when normal checking procedures were suspended.

All you can do is post a note explaining that they are your friend and that they care for you. Have UC asked for specific documents?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • PolPol
    Options
    No they have not been specific. Just 'upload documents' to confirm your relationship.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just make a statement about the situation then and that you cannot think of any documents that would be helpful.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • PolPol
    Options
    Thank you. I have done exactly that. 
  • smithers
    smithers Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I’m having the same worries, I’m on daily living component on pip and lcwra as does my friend. We’re both polar opposites but support networks for eachother. My flat is only a one bedroom but we transformed my lounge into a lounge/ bedroom/ cat room in the day. I’m going to be adding them as a non dependent after they’ve finished helping their dad with an injury, but I’m worried because of a brief attempt at dating in the past and just overall it being a woman and man wanting to live together they’ll assume all sorts. I’ve seen a lot on how they hound people in these situations. How else can you prove you’re not in a relationship. Even washing and buying food together can just be more budget wise for some. What is it even classed as living with a friend? Literally that or? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.