Community Kitchen - This Autumn, it's more important than ever to 'Eat Local' — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community Kitchen - This Autumn, it's more important than ever to 'Eat Local'

Options
veriterc
veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Coffee lounge
Verite is back with another fantastic edition of the Community Kitchen! She covers plenty of tasty recipes that'll be sure to keep you warm in the colder weather.

With empty shelves in supermarkets, it's a good idea to work out what food you can buy locally, in case lack of lorry drivers, etc. means we are going to have a shortage.

Since lockdown, many local enterprises have started up, selling eggs from backyards, vegetables from allotments, etc.  Often this local produce is cheaper than supermarket prices: - I now pay £1.50 for half-a-dozen enormous fresh local new-laid eggs - can't be bad!

So find local produce (some of it free) by looking on neighbourhood websites, Facebook pages, village gossip, etc.!

In Britain, we grow and produce a fantastic range of foods, and by buying British food we support our economy. Also, we have very high standards of animal welfare and food production and have some of the most traceable food systems in the world. And by buying locally think of the 'food miles' you are saving.

Nuts

If you have a 'too tired to cook' day, think about nuts as an easy way to eat healthily. Nuts are good for everybody, especially Vegans and Vegetarians.

Kentish Cobnuts are now available in Greengocers and many supermarkets, and can even be picked in the Hedgerows. In the run-up to Christmas, supermarkets suddenly cater to nut-lovers like me, and are beginning to realise that many of us like to buy freshly-picked nuts and crack them whilst indulging in an orgy of sofa-surfing.

If you like walnuts, look out for 'wet' walnuts; these are fiddly to crack and peel, but a special treat whilst they are young and fresh. And don't forget the woods are full of sweet chestnuts now. All free! And good for you!

When you are feeling too tired to cook, a large handful of nuts can make up for lost protein, necessary for building bones, muscles, and skin. So keeping some in the store cupboard in an air-tight container can help when you have a 'down day'.  While all nuts contain protein, some provide more than others. Here are some of the benefits.

aerial picture of colourful nut selection

Almonds 

Protein: 7 grams per 2oz handful.

Almonds are actually a seed. In addition to being high in protein, almonds are loaded with antioxidants. It’s best to eat almonds with the skin for the most benefits .

Walnuts

Protein: 4.5 grams per 2ozs.

Walnuts are also a source of heart-healthy fats. Specifically, they contain more omega-3 fatty acids, in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), than any other nut.

Pistachios

Protein: 6 grams per 2 ozs.

A serving of pistachios provides as much protein as one egg.  These nuts are 'goodies', as they have a higher ratio of essential amino acids relative to their protein content, compared with most other nuts.

Cashews

Protein: 5 grams per 2 ozs serving.

Another nut that is technically a seed.  A serving provides about 80% of the Daily Value for copper, which supports immunity and aids the creation of red blood cells and connective tissue.

Pine nuts

Protein: 4.5 grams per 2 ozs.

Pine nuts are the seeds of certain varieties of pine cones.

Brazil nuts

Protein: 4.75 grams per 2 ozs.

Brazil nuts are one of the best food sources of selenium, an essential mineral that supports thyroid health and protects the body from infection.

Peanuts

Protein: 9.5 grams per 2 ozs serving.

Technically they are a legume but considered a nut from a nutritional and culinary standpoint.

Like most legumes, they provide a lot of plant-based protein. In fact, peanuts have the highest protein content out of all commonly consumed nuts.

Peanuts are also one of the best food sources of biotin, a vitamin that helps convert food into usable energy in the body

Hazelnuts

Protein: 5 grams per 2 ozs serving.

In addition to boosting protein intake, consuming more hazelnuts may help improve heart health and lower the risk of heart disease.

Game is in season

Game is in season up until the New Year, and basically includes meat that roams freely around the countryside, so is definitely free-range.

My favourite is Pheasant, known for its distinct mild gamey flavour; if you like chicken you will probably love this bird.

If you live in the deep countryside or near a posh London or Edinburgh Butcher, you might find they even have Partridge, Woodcock, Grouse or Snipe - and today they all come oven-ready, so are an easy thing to pop in the oven and serve with whatever you serve up with chicken.

With scare stories of a Turkey shortage for Christmas, perhaps now is the time to stock up the freezer for Christmas Dinner? And Game can provide a glamorous alternative to turkey.

Pheasant is lean, rich in iron and protein but low in fat and if you've never cooked this before, it is easy-peasy. They are even sold Oven Ready, so you just pop it straight into the oven.

You might want to stuff it with 1 oz butter, plus any of the following you have available:
  • bay leaf
  • juniper berries
  • leeks
  • onion
  • black and white and green peppercorns
  • rosemary
  • sage
  • thyme
Place breast down in a roasting tin, then I drizzle an inch of stock or water around it. Roast according to butcher's or printed label on bird, turning it 15 mins before the end, so the breast gets nicely browned. Cooking it this way means it is juicier, and the liquid makes good gravy.

One pheasant serves one person with a large appetite, or two normal people, or three if they have small appetites. Serve it on a small carving board between two people, and let them carve their own (saves you having to do this).

After the meal, as most people will have hacked at the bird and left meat on the bones, put the carcasses into a large pot and boil them up for soup. There are loads of recipes on the internet. Don't forget to add in left-over veggies.

Serve Game with Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, roast potatoes, bread sauce and gravy.

Pigs in Blankets

These are so easy to make and go well with Pheasant, etc.

Take as many Chipolatas as you think everyone will eat, plus one rasher of streaky bacon for two chipolatas.

Spread the bacon out, cut each slice in two and roll it round the sausages (you can secure it with a toothpick if you want them neat).

Pop around the chicken, pheasant, turkey etc. when it goes in the oven. Take out when crisp brown and sizzling (30 - 40 mins).

And for a well-loved Pud...

apple crumble in a small pot
It's got to be Apple Crumble. A Crumble is a 'forgiving' sort of recipe - you can add in what you like, but here is my basic 'go to' version:
  • 1.5 kg mixed apples , (you can use cookers like Bramley, or any to hand)
  • 150 g golden caster sugar
  • 1 lemon or scatter a few cloves
For topping:
  • 50 g unsalted butter , (cold)
  • 100 g plain flour  or mix in some Oats for crunch
Put thinly sliced apples into a greased over dish, then drizzle water and sugar (to taste) over these. Or use pureed apples.

Grate lemon zest or sprinkle a few cloves into dish.

Rub together the butter and floor, sprinkle over apples and pop into over at 180 degrees for about 40 - 50 mins. Keep an eye on it, as cooking time will depend on how deep your basin is.

Enjoy with cream or clotted cream!
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,973 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @veriterc I'm looking at pumpkin recipes as I have a big fresh one seen a pumpkin muffin recipe im going to try 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    nice to see a thread that encourages the use of "facebook", and encouraging us to buy locally. Thanks @veriterc
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I definitely agree that nuts are an easy way to bulk something up, and they're tasty too! 

I'd like to buy more local produce, but I'm not always sure where to look. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @veriterc

Thanks for your post. It seems it has got us all thinking! Though, that's the thing @Tori_Scope isn't it. Unfortunately, some of us don't have as many shops where we live (especially if we live in smaller areas!). However, I think it is something we can all be mindful of and at least think about where the nearest shop is  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Options
    Glad you read my notes - I do realise there are many like myself who live in the so-called countryside, and wonder why we can't buy local fruit and. veg.  So I will try and give as many tips as possible on how to source local produce.

Brightness