Hi, my name is mya! I had a PIP phone assessment today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mya! I had a PIP phone assessment today

Options
mya
mya Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had a pip phone call assessment today, which I was already due to the stores I've read about it. I felt the way I was treated was almost bullied and coerced into saying things I wasn't able to physically do. The assesor would repeat a few times my answer as if she it didn't make sense and it was shocking that I was unable to carry out basic day to days without struggling in pain due to fibromyalgia and osteoarthritic changes in my shoulder, neck and spine and been suffering from anxiety and depression for pretty much my entire life. I told her I do not cook due to stiffness in my fingers and they keep locking, she created a scenario and insisted if there was a pan on the stove would be able to put veg in it and some meat in a frying pan..which I she insisted anyone can do but with the pain I feel I cannot carry a pot with water to the stove and start cooking meat in a frying pan. But in the end she brought it down to can I pour vegetables into the pan. That isn't being  able to cook a meal, safely and effectively. Every question she kept probing until I would say I can do it but not without struggling without being put on the spot if it was life or death situation. She said that I can do it and I shouldn't be lying, the other person that was her forcing me to say things I couldn't do. Even other questions she was asking she literally was answering them herself and not letting me explain anything or taking what I said into account and talking over me. I told her I couldn't wash up due to the stiffness in my fingers and she said can I wash a fork, if need be yes I can doesn't mean I wash of dishes standing up without out causing pain in my hands and knees. She was ridiculous and I'm just shocked at how these assessors conduct these consultations. They degrade you as if you're not a human being and you're a robot. It's absolutely disgusting, by the looks it I'll get 0 as she kept prompting me to say I can do everything and I'm fine. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi,
    Im sorry you found the whole process very stressful. Unfortunately, they have to ask you these types of questions because they are trying to get the full picture of exactly how your conditions affect you. The assessment is a process they use to gather more evidence. 
    Unfortunately washing the dishes isn’t part of any descriptors but asking you that question may have given answers to other things.
    Its  a very stressful process for everyone to go through.
    Thankfully that part has now been completed. It would be impossible to predict anything at this stage. All you can do now is wait for the decision, which can take anything between 2-12 weeks sometimes longer.
    Once it’s made if you’re not happy you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mya
    Options
    I understand she had to ask the question she did, it was her tone and her attitude to asking them which left me a bit surprised. It was almost like she already had her mind made up as to what I could or couldn't do on a daily basis. It's a shame we struggle enough as it is and then we struggle to prove that we're struggling and in pain. It's hard for everyone, shame the process has to be like a militant operation. Yes I'm glad it's over and I wouldn't want to go through that again. 
  • mya
    Options
    Ok thank you for your message 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @mya and welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear of the poor experience you had during your telephone assessment, you shouldn't be made to feel bullied and forced to say things.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • mya
    Options
    Hello, thank you for your response. It has got me extremely down and now I wait. Regardless of the outcome I will definitely want a MR, there's no way I can do basic things on a daily basis without, mental, physical and emotional anguish.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.