Fun things to do at home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fun things to do at home

MissMarple
MissMarple Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
I've been housebound for a while. I'm not bored, I enjoy reading, listening to music, the usual home entertainment. However, I've been thinking about how I could  experience more of what can't be done at home by definition. Things like recreating the northern lights or having a llama visit.  :)  Any creative ideas? What would you do?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Interesting topic @MissMarple

I don't have any particularly creative ideas off the top of my head, but I'll definitely have a think :) 

We used to do indoor picnics when we were young and couldn't get outside, which I always enjoyed. I also used to have some glow in the dark stars on my ceiling, so I could pretend I was stargazing when it got dark. 

Maybe you could also try building some of the 7 wonders of the world? Or working out a recipe for something that's on a Michelin starred restaurant's menu? 

I think having some animals to visit is a great idea, as is recreating the northern lights.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Ha, when you said have a llama visit I was thinking Buddhist monk.

how about building the seven wonders of the world using glued matchsticks? Or any building really, it’s fun. I built a cottage type log cabin like this and used dried Leylandi for the thatched roof. 

I once also made a small mould to make plaster bricks in and built castles for the children, also fun.

i also made my own board game once too, easier than you might think ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MissMarple
    leeCal said:
    Ha, when you said have a llama visit I was thinking Buddhist monk.

how about building the seven wonders of the world using glued matchsticks? Or any building really, it’s fun. I built a cottage type log cabin like this and used dried Leylandi for the thatched roof. 

I once also made a small mould to make plaster bricks in and built castles for the children, also fun.

i also made my own board game once too, easier than you might think ? 
    Thanks for the ideas. Your mentioning the kids gave me the idea to check out children's kits for inspiration. I've seen things like chemistry lab or build/make your own X. 
  • MissMarple
    Homemade Michelin starred dinner sounds good @Tori_Scope :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Maybe not fun but productive: something I do if I am bored is take a drawer or storage basket and empty it out. You are sure to either find things to throw away, making space, or find something useful that you didn’t know you had :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,701 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal I once also made a small mould to make plaster bricks in and built castles for the children, also fun.
    This sounds a good idea, I'll Have to look up a link for materials

Brightness