Never had a job because no one will give me a chance... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Never had a job because no one will give me a chance...

Zee_64
Zee_64 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited October 2021 in Work and employment
I have Spastic Diplegia CP and a Stammer. I've applied to numerous of jobs I'm either unsuccessful or I don't hear anything back..

anyone else had a similar experience? any advise? 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    have you thought of volunteering to get some work experience?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Zee_64
    @woodbine I've been volunteering for a charity organisation since Feb 2020
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Zee_64

Welcome to the community, it's good to see you join us. 

Sorry to hear that you are having challenges with job opportunities, it can be a very competitive market out there sometimes and landing a role is difficult. Volunteering is a good option as suggested above, and you could also explore some of Scope's employment services to see if any of them would suit you. Getting help and advice with things like CV writing, job hunting and interview skills are essential to get that upper hand on any competition, especially if you're at a time where you've struggled for experience.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MissMarple
    MissMarple Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    I don't know what kind of job you are looking for. In my experience charities and public sector employers tend to be more disability-friendly, especially if their area is in some way relevant to disability. Like Scope, Mencap, Age UK etc. I've also seen lots of staff with visible disabilities working in supermarkets.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    What kind of role are you after, if you don't mind me asking @Zee_64?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Zee_64
    What kind of role are you after, if you don't mind me asking @Zee_64?
    @Tori_Scope I have various qualifications in IT and Business - preferably a admin role. 
  • Zee_64
    Hello @Zee_64

Welcome to the community, it's good to see you join us. 

Sorry to hear that you are having challenges with job opportunities, it can be a very competitive market out there sometimes and landing a role is difficult. Volunteering is a good option as suggested above, and you could also explore some of Scope's employment services to see if any of them would suit you. Getting help and advice with things like CV writing, job hunting and interview skills are essential to get that upper hand on any competition, especially if you're at a time where you've struggled for experience.
    Thank you @Ross_Scope
  • Zee_64
    I don't know what kind of job you are looking for. In my experience charities and public sector employers tend to be more disability-friendly, especially if their area is in some way relevant to disability. Like Scope, Mencap, Age UK etc. I've also seen lots of staff with visible disabilities working in supermarkets.
    Yes @MissMarple Ideally I'd love to work for a charity - hopefully i find something soon. Thank you. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you been looking on Charity Job at all @Zee_64

It can also be useful to look at all of the jobs out there in your chosen field, in this case admin type roles, even if they're not in the right location or not an organisation you're interested in working for. By reading the job descriptions, you can start to build a general idea of the kinds of skills and experience you might need. 

It's great that you have some relevant qualifications :) Fingers crossed you'll find the right opportunity soon! 

Do check out Scope's employment services, as Ross suggested, too. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Zee_64
    Have you been looking on Charity Job at all @Zee_64

It can also be useful to look at all of the jobs out there in your chosen field, in this case admin type roles, even if they're not in the right location or not an organisation you're interested in working for. By reading the job descriptions, you can start to build a general idea of the kinds of skills and experience you might need. 

It's great that you have some relevant qualifications :) Fingers crossed you'll find the right opportunity soon! 

Do check out Scope's employment services, as Ross suggested, too. 
    Thank you @Tori_Scope will do. 
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    @Zee_64 Hi there!  My colleagues and other members of the community have replied to you with opinions and advice.  You seem to have a clear sense of direction as to the type of work you are looking for.

Your post raises very interesting issues for me.  One of them is the value of paid work vs voluntary work.  I might start a thread on the community about this to see what people feel about this....so thank you for speaking out.

Of course, in the meantime I wish you well in your endeavours and hope you will share your experiences; without doubt you are not alone.

Good luck!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Brightness