Memory tests at home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Memory tests at home

Options
Stammers1
Stammers1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2021 in Coffee lounge
So me and my son have been doing shorterm memory recall tests tonight. We both gave each other a list of 10 words and numbers to read and then repeat the list via memory. I'm astounded at the difference in my sons memory compared to my own. My lad smashed both the tests without a problem whereas me I lost all numbers and words after the first 1. This memory problem I've had since my accident in 1983 or just after that's my disability right there amongst other things involving living with Traumatic Brain Injury. Sharing this stuff is helping come to terms with my disability and where I'm going with it my disability is like an old friend and enemy these days. Here's to a new right road???

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's great that you shared doing these tests with your son 
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options
    I have had a TBI for over forty years.
    My memory at the moment is giving me serious concerns.
    I would do anything to help liven up my mind
  • Stammers1
    Options
    I hear ya pal I've lived with mine for 37 years and as I get older my memory and balance is shocking I hid my disability from the age of 11 I'm 48 now and it's still the same as it's always been I try memory test but fail instantly I cant stand on my left as I fall over after a few seconds...do you struggle with balance at????
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options

My balance is the second biggest problem.  I can fall at the slightest jolt.
    My memory is my no.1 problem. Although saying this, perhaps you are the same, it's just one of the many problems I have accepted and try to live as normal life.
    But having this memory problem, makes me slow. It makes me look unintelligent. And that frustrates me, because although I say this myself I am quite an intelligent bloke.
    I have been sacked from more jobs than I can remember, all because of my memory problems. 
    A few years ago I had a brain scan because of these Memory Problems.  It was confirmed that there are 'problems' up there.
    Finally... the Brain Injury has completely effed up my life. But although, I look normal there are a multitude of problems caused with this.
    Nobody can understand the complications involved

• Stammers1
    Options
    I can relate completely to the all the problems regarding memory. It's never been checked or my major balance problem on my left side 37 years I've tried everything and anything to fit in as a normal person but I never happens my disabilities has lost me so many jobs and relationships I can say that my TBI back in 1983 has ruined my whole life and continues to. Finally I've managed to speak with my doctor and hes guna do the assessment for both..thankgod they are starting listen. I'll blow his mind when I get in to see him and the hardest thing with brain injury is getting folk to understand thanks for yor comment it's much appreciated ???
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It would seem that on average a person can recall seven plus or minus two items from a short list. This limit however can be extended greatly in my experience by using mnemonics.

Wikipedia entry:
    "The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two: Some Limits on Our Capacity for Processing Information"[1] is one of the most highly cited papers in psychology.[2][3][4] It was written by the cognitive psychologist George A. Miller of Harvard University's Department of Psychology and published in 1956 in Psychological Review. It is often interpreted to argue that the number of objects an average human can hold in short-term memory is 7 ± 2. This has occasionally been referred to as Miller's law.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness