Subject Access Request Template Letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Subject Access Request Template Letter

Options
YogiBear
YogiBear Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi

This is my first time posting so please bare with me.  I am looking to get copies of my medical records from my GP for my PIP renewal when it comes through and I'm just wondering if anyone could advise if there is a template letter that I could use to do this.

Many thanks for your help
Yogi Bear

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    You do not need an SAR. A simple request is all that’s needed.
    Some GPs will have a form they want you to complete.
    Remember that PIP is not based on a medical diagnosis but about the impact your health has on your ability to carry out the activities. Consider therefore how much medical evidence you actually need. If you ask for your an SAR/complete records your GP will provide a copy of every medical letter and report they have on file. Depending on your medical history that can be a lot of paper (much of which, possibly most, will not be helpful).

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-access-your-health-records/

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I requested my medical records for my review. When i received them (digital copies) there was nothing in there was was useful to use so i didn't send anything. All i sent was my repeat prescription list. The rest was my anecdotal evidence. I had a paper based review with a very fast turn around of about 6ish weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @YogiBear

Welcome to the community and Happy Halloween!

As others have said, it is not entirely necessary to make a SAR to get your medical records because it is a legal requirement that they be provided to you if you want them. The below extract comes from this NHS page, and details how you can access them, you can go online to do so or directly to your GP.

You can access your GP records, and nominate someone you trust to access them. This can be done online or with your GP., through GP online services.

To get your health records online you need to register for GP online services. This is a 3 step process that can take from 30 minutes to a couple of hours.

Visit GP online services

If you have registered for GP online services, you can access your health information through NHS login or the NHS app.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • YogiBear
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks for your replies and advice it really is appreciated. I only need specific letters from my Continence Nurse to my GP. I'm in N.Ireand. Would it okay just to send a letter to my Drs surgery requesting those specific letters from the Continence Nurse? 

Regards
    Yogi Bear
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do those letters state exactly how your conditions affect you? If they don't then you need to think is it worth sending them. Less is often more.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sillymoo007
    Sillymoo007 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    @YogiBear I'm in NI too. Had to fill in a simple form at my GP to get my son's medical notes for PIP application. Receptionist had the files ready in a week. There was 4 years worth of notes but only a few that were relevant.
  • YogiBear
    Options
    Thank you very much for your advice Poppy & Sillymoo. It really is appreciated. I think I'll need to send in letters as I am now using transanal irrigation system to help manage incontinence problems.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.