Hi, my name is joe61! Will I be able to get extra income to help with care costs? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is joe61! Will I be able to get extra income to help with care costs?

Options
joe61
joe61 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
my son was claiming carers allowance but now no longer in receipt of this and now i have carers coming in morning and i'm worried about any care charges will i able to get extra income to help with cost

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi,

You can refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local council. Someone will then contact you and arange an appointment, whether this would be face to face in your home, or by telephone due to current conditions, i have no idea. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/
    Once this has been done you will know if there's any support available to you. Do be aware though that waiting times could be many months.
    If they decide that extra help can be given then direct payments are possible but you will need to assessed financially for this to know if you need to pay a contribution towards the help.
    Until this is done you will need to pay for your care yourself unfortunately.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @joe61

Happy Halloween, welcome to the community :) 

Thank you for joining and posting your question, I have moved the discussion over to a more suitable category and altered the title so that other members know what your query is about. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • joe61
    edited November 2021
    Options
    my referral done by a social worker and will i be able to claim severe disability premium now my son has stopped claiming carers allowance, i am being assessed and also i got a safeguard referral. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    To claim SDP it will depend on what benefits exactly you claim. If you're claiming Either Income Related ESA/JSA, Income Support or pension credit.
    You must also live alone or if you live with other adults they must also be claiming a disability benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • joe61
    Options
    yes i'm on esa in the support section cos of illness and also get pip i have been frightened for few months after having surgery to my thyroid after they finding cancer and now after 20yr being border lined with having ms they now finaly said i got the full on set of ms not only that i'm waiting to have radiotherapy and now they found a tumour in my ear canal which means more surgery at this moment in time i am all over the place with my illness and it's getting to me
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. Do you live alone or does another adult live with you? If another adult lives with you they must also be claiming a qualifying disability benefit for you to be entitled to the SDP, as advised here...

You must also live alone or if you live with other adults they must also be claiming a disability benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance.

• joe61
    Options
    yes i live alone

• joe61
    Options
    i'm higher rate of pip and motability 

• poppy123456
    Options
    Then you can ring DWP to claim the SDP and the number to ring is... 0800 169 0310 This is assuming your ESA is not New style ESA.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.