Union have been a waste of time in getting reasonable adjustments sorted. Need some advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Union have been a waste of time in getting reasonable adjustments sorted. Need some advice

Options
Ablazepipz
Ablazepipz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in Work and employment
Having terrible time at work. I work in Healthcare NHS. I came to look for advice. Union have been a waste of time in gaining reasonable adjustments sorted. They do not seem to want to resolve only to talk about it. They had agreed some things though were more adjustments that were more for the team rather then for me. Currently feel discriminated against as supposed to have disability leave but not able to use on some shifts I do, and its being discussed again whether I can take other working days.
I have been to occupational health twice after sickness due to my disability and they still want me to work at the same level as other people despite making it clear that I cannot do this. 

I have written letters both of which has led to no action and again being expected to go back to work full time and on shift with more responsibility. I asked for phased return but this didn't happen. 

I have had meetings with my manager (3 different ones over 3 years) and they still see me as being the problem. Very dismissive and at times using intimidation to try getting me to work above what I am physically capable of.

PLEASE HELP.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Ablazepipz :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble getting the adjustments you've been hoping for. You shouldn't be made to feel as though you're the problem. 

I've marked your post as unanswered for now, and hope that someone with some personal experience of this will see your post soon.

In the meantime, the Scope website has some information on what to do if your employer isn't doing enough regarding reasonable adjustments. Have you spoken to ACAS at all? 
    supposed to have disability leave but not able to use on some shifts I do
    Have they explained why you're not able to use this on all of the shifts you do?
    being expected to go back to work full time and on shift with more responsibility
    Have you looked into making a flexible working request (gov.uk)? It's not something I know a huge amount about, but part time hours does seem to be listed as an example of a flexible working request on that gov.uk page.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm not familiar with how disability leave works however have you put your request for ra in writing and had written response 

If not do this stating what specific adjustments you require 

If you have done this already then appeal the decision 

Or put in a formal complaint that your adjustments have not been made 

You may want to look into getting some advice from ACAS they also have lots of information on their website which could help 

Brightness