Replacement boiler — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Replacement boiler

Options
Beamoody
Beamoody Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi my boiler has broken down again and it's over 10 years old. My service provider has said its BER (beyond economic repair) I know there is a government grant for people on pip but British gas have just passed my number onto someone who will get in touch with me? Don't know when. 
I'm in the West Midlands and I'd like to get a new one in before the bad weather. I've been onto a couple of suppliers who have said I need to contribute to the scheme but it's nearly £1000.
Does anyone know an exact supplier and how much I'll have to contribute. 
I need the heating on for me and my young son. 
Many thanks 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi @Beamoody

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, boilers are not my area of expertise which means I am hoping someone with more knowledge about boilers can respond to you soon with more specific guidance. However, in the meantime, I just want to say sorry that you and your son are in this situation. It can't be easy, especially on these colder days. Keep going and I hope someone can help really soon. In the meantime, if you would like to email community@scope.org.uk, a member of staff is more likely to see and respond to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Beamoody
    Beamoody Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Thanks, I've been in contact with ulitia and they only replace boilers under the scheme if you have the cavity wall done at the same time. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Beamoody said:
    Thanks, I've been in contact with ulitia and they only replace boilers under the scheme if you have the cavity wall done at the same time. 
    which isn't the worst idea in the world.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm feeling very smug, as I had a gas boiler installed (free) in July under the Warmer Homes scheme.  Google to see if it is still around, then be prepared for simple steps which took an awfully long time - but delivered in the end!
  • Barukh
    Barukh Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Options
    Try Depher.co.uk.  They offer free or reduced cost Plumbing and Heating Services including Boilers.

From their website - Quote " We not only deliver a trusted community plumbing and heating service that enables the elderly, vulnerable and disabled members of the community to access help and support 24 hours a day.

We also deliver paid and private plumbing and heating services to all members of the public and businesses.

It is from the private and public work that we acquire most of the profits that we need and use for the

**FREE elderly, vulnerable and disabled emergency initiative. " Quote

From your post it looks like you would qualify for the free fitting and provision of a Boiler.

Their Phone Numbers are 01282 420678 OR 07521702043

They are based in Burnley but do cover other areas.  I would give them a call. 

Brightness