Hi, my name is charlie22! I have been awarded LCW, but looking to appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is charlie22! I have been awarded LCW, but looking to appeal

Options
charlie22
charlie22 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I’m new to this, 
looking for advice please. I have been awarded limited capability for work but looking to appeal the decision to get it with work related activities. My health condition is generalised anxiety disorder which affects every aspect of my life and has done for years now. I’ve developed alopecia due to the severe stress and worry my condition brings. I also suffer with migraines brought on by my condition. My life is restricted I wake up and go to bed with the fear of dread and worry and anxious thoughts that don’t stop it’s taken over my life! Can anyone help me on what to do in terms of appealing the decision I have done nothing but cry all day I’m so upset. Takes a lot to open up and you do and get knocked back when you genuinely struggle every single day, I have lost jobs and have taken lots of time of work in the jobs I’ve had due to my condition and how severe it affects me I don’t know where else to turn any help or advice is appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    If this decision was recently then you first step will be to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you can do this on your journal. You should state why you think you should have been awarded LCWRA and give a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it, what the consequences were.
    Have you had a look at the descriptors to see if you qualify for LCWRA? You can see them here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3904-limited-capability-for-work-related-activity
    Also have a look at substantial risk, which often applies to those that suffer mental health. https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra

If the MR decision doesn't change then it's Tribunal. Waiting times for MR decisions can be anything from 2-12 weeks, sometimes longer.
    You may want to get some expert advice. For this, start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charlie22
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I will take a look 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @charlie22 - & welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to read about the problems you're facing, but I'm sure the advice Poppy has given will help you with a Mandatory Reconsideration. May I ask if you're claiming PIP (Personal Independence Payment)?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @charlie22 hi and a welcome from me also, are you getting the help you need with your problems?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• charlie22
    Options
    @chiarieds @woodbine thank you both ?
     i am not claiming PIP just standard UC although my UC advisor has mentioned to apply with my condition just afraid of the constant knock backs ? it’s so frustrating 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PIP is not awarded based on any diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. The PIP claims process is quite long and it's estimated at about 10months from starting a claim to having a decision.
    It does help to have some understanding of the descriptors and what they mean. Start here. https://pipinfo.net/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As well as the informative link above, this may also be helpful to look through as it's about PIP & mental health issues. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/    & look through the different sections.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @charlie22

Welcome to the community, I hope the above replies have been helpful and I'm sure you'll find the community to be a positive outlet for you. 

It seems as though your GAD impacts your day to day life quite a bit, are you receiving all the support you need to manage it? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • charlie22
    Options
    @Ross_Scope I don’t think I get any support to be honest I feel it takes a lot to open up and to explain how it affects me even to my GP no one seems to have enough time to understand and listen to me. Hence why I’m so annoyed I received this decision when I was literally crying down the phone explaining how I struggle everyday. I don’t see any hope at the moment I feel like they push you to the edge which makes me close up and not want to speak about it. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I think the majority of people think the same, i know i certainly do. It's extremely difficult to tell others exactly how your conditions affect you and to open up about them. We often just battle through as best we can.
    They have acknowledged you have a health condition that limits your capability to work, they just think that you're capable of preparing to work sometime in the future, which means attending appointments with your work coach. This can either be through telephone or face to face at your local Job centre.
    When you request the MR make sure you add a couple or real world examples as explained above.
    Did you have a look at the links i posted above to see if any of those descriptors apply to you?
    I'd also advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you and then once you've explained your conditions and how you're affected they will be able to tell you if you qualify for LCWRA because if you don't there's little point in requesting the MR. This link will help with that. https://advicelocal.uk/

• Ross_Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hello @charlie22

Thank you for being so open and honest with us about it, I really appreciate it. I would encourage you to access your GP to see what support they could offer you for your anxiety, but of course if you have already seen them and not made any progress then you may be hesitant to go back. Perhaps you could see a different GP?

Furthermore, there are always support services out there that you don't need to speak with your GP to access, such as resources like this from Mind, or the Samaritans who you can call on 116 123. This community will always be around too of course, and Scope have a helpline that you are more than welcome to call.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • charlie22
    Options
    Thank you everyone I have zero energy and zero motivation I just don’t know what to do. Talking seems too much I can’t be bothered I cry when someone tries to have a conversation with me I don’t have the energy to speak. My words don’t come out how I expect them to I get jumbled up especially when filling these forms out nothing makes sense what I write. @poppy123456 I cannot make any decisions I can’t think I can’t take any new information in. I can’t plan any journeys I can’t go out, I can’t even do a food shop I’m too paranoid everyone is staring, my mind is whizzing around 24 hours a day I can’t think straight I can’t even read properly I can’t absorb any information it won’t soak in hence why it takes so long to reply. I’ve been thinking of examples to write and I just don’t know I had 3 panic attacks today worrying about it. I don’t think there is much hope for me I can’t understand what goes on in my head so I don’t know how to tell other people how bad it actually is. It’s physically affecting me but I get looked at like there’s nothing wrong with me I have done most of my life. If I could be “normal” I really would because this is horrible to live with. Sorry for being so depressing I just need to get it out. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @charlie22

Thank you again for speaking so honestly about how you feel, it can be hard to speak about these things but I hope taking the important step of talking about them on here helps you to feel better about it. I hope you find the resources provided by @Teddybear12 helpful :) 

Have you considered referring yourself for a needs assessment through your local authority? To see if they could support you in any way, more information can be found here.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @charlie22 :) I just wanted to check-in to see how you've been doing since you last posted on the community? How have things been? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.