Is it hard to get PIP for mental health? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it hard to get PIP for mental health?

Eafs1985
Eafs1985 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Is it hard to get pip for mentle health I'm waiting for a answer I'm so nervous 

Comments

• MaisieBoohoo
    MaisieBoohoo Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Hi and welcome
    from all I have read on here, mental health is a very valid reason to claim Pip
    you just have to give good examples of real life events that link to the questions on forms…like cooking, bathing, communicating with people.
    I know others will give better advice but any folks get PIP for mental health issues.
    good luck
  • Eafs1985
    I'm a stress head and have so unwell for a very long time now fingers crossed thank u 
  • Eafs1985
    Sorry one more question do the nurse take my notes into consideration as well as what iv said she put the report straight threw as I got a txt not long after the call
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    The report is their opinion based on the evidence you sent including the form and the assessment. The report then becomes part of your evidence. The decision maker looks at everything and then makes a decision. The report being returned the same day as your assessment doesn't mean anything other than it's been returned.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Eafs1985
  • Eafs1985
    I got a report in saying iv got pip for 1 year and 8 months I only got 8 points none for mobility the lady wrote alot of lies down on the report 
  • poppy123456
    Eafs1985 said:
    I got a report in saying iv got pip for 1 year and 8 months I only got 8 points none for mobility the lady wrote alot of lies down on the report 

If you've only received the report, this is not the decision and a recommendation only. You will need to wait for the decision, once it's made if you're not happy then you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Hi @Eafs1985 - I'm sorry it sounds like you didn't get the award you were expecting. The assessor doesn't just write down what you've said, rather forms their own opinion. This can make it feel that there were 'inaccuracies,' unfortunately.
    You can appeal this with a Mandatory Reconsideration where another Decision Maker will look at everything again. Were you expecting points for the planning a journey part? Your award length is also quite short, so if you feel your mental health may stay the same for longer than 20 months, you could ask for a longer award too.
    As Poppy says, if this is just the assessor's report, you will have to wait until you get your actual decision letter.
  • Eafs1985
    OK thanks she said I wasn't on any medication and I am i will appel it once I here back for the case manager 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you confident in knowing how to submit an MR if needed @Eafs1985
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    Eafs1985 said:
    OK thanks she said I wasn't on any medication
    That is a classic copy and paste that they often use.
  • Eafs1985
    No I'm not confident on a Mr I wouldn't know were to start I can't believe the ammount of lies on the report says I spent all my money on garden furniture I  thi k it's crazy 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2021
    You need to put the report to one side because concentrating on this will not get you a PIP award. If it gets as far as Tribunal and you do this then it can harm your case.
    Once the decision's been made if you're not happy post back here and someone will advise furthe what you need to do next.
  • Eafs1985
    I know and thank you for your comments
  • Eafs1985
    I need help to do a Mr for pip 
  • poppy123456
    Eafs1985 said:
    I need help to do a Mr for pip 

Do you currently have an award? If so, where do you think you can score more points for a higher award? Have you looked at the descriptors? https://pipinfo.net/

• Eafs1985
    Yes I have and planing a journey and budget decisions
  • Eafs1985
    I phoned pip and have a month to do it how do I start we're will i get a form or do I just right a letter 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.