Dyslexia and dyspraxia. Can you have dyslexia, but be able to read and write just fine? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dyslexia and dyspraxia. Can you have dyslexia, but be able to read and write just fine?

Options
Welliboots93
Welliboots93 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Hello everyone!

I've recently sought out help at uni because I think I might have ADHD (even though I'm not hyperactive)

Long story short, they've sent me for a dyslexia screening to rule that condition out 

This is great, but Ive never thought I'm dyslexic as I can write, spell and read! 

I struggle to read in the sense that I just can't take it in, but I can read the word (if that makes sense)

My organisational skills are shocking! And I have a poor memory but Im just wondering if anyone else has dyslexia but can read and write just fine

Thank you! 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Welliboots93

Thanks for posting your question, I hope you are well.

I'm glad that you have sought out help, and I hope your uni are being accommodating and doing all they can to support you? 

You must be wanting to get some answers at this point, and I'm sure the screening you are going for will provide some. hope it all goes well.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Welliboots93 :) As you say, it's great that they're sending you with a screening to check out that possibility.

The NHS website has some information on symptoms of dyslexia. By taking a look at this, you'll be able to see that the symptoms of dyslexia cover more than just difficulties with spelling and so on. There are quite a few crossovers between the symptoms of dyslexia and ADHD, so it's good that they're exploring this as an option. 

Do you know when your screening might be? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Naz18
    Naz18 Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Hello, I was wandering if you had had your screening and what the result may have been?  
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of Sensory Visual Impairment, Specific Learning Difficulties with Vision, Neurological conditions and dyslexia.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness