Didn't realise I was meant to inform UC when son was issued CVI certificate. Will we get backpay? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Didn't realise I was meant to inform UC when son was issued CVI certificate. Will we get backpay?

Amz86
Amz86 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello, 
Need some advice, my son has a CVI which is dated 16.7.21, I didn't realise I was supposed to inform UC when the certificate was issued. 
I've now informed them. Is it true that we aren't entitled to a back payment to when the certificate was issued?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amz86

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well and find this to be a supportive and welcoming place.

Sorry to hear that this is causing you some uncertainty at the minute, I am unsure over whether you will be entitled to the backpayment or not, but I just wanted to clarify for other members that you are referring to a Certificate of Visual Impairment? Is that right? 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Amz86
    Hi Ross, and thank you. 
    Yes it's the certificate of visual impairment I'm referring to sorry I'm so used to saying CVI now 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Amz86 said:
    Hi Ross, and thank you. 
    Yes it's the certificate of visual impairment I'm referring to sorry I'm so used to saying CVI now 
    There's no need to apologise, I have sight loss and do the same :) I imagine that many other members will know what you were referring to, I just wanted to clarify in case.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi @Amz86 - & welcome to the community. From what I can see, it may be worth asking a decision maker to look at this (a Mandatory Reconsideration). This from the Advice for Decision Maker's Guide:
    'UC and award of other benefits
    A4-220
    In the case of UC where the claimant or a member of their family becomes entitled to another relevant benefit, ceases to be entitled or the rate of another such benefit alters then the superseding decision takes effect from the first day of the assessment period in which entitlement to the other benefit or an alteration in it’s rate arises or entitlement ends.'
    So, altho you're normally supposed to inform the DWP within a month of any change, I don't believe that's the case here.
    If you were already getting the lower rate of the disabled child element due to your son's VI (if he was receiving the lower or middle rate of DLA for example) this might be worth mentioning in your MR, & send a copy of his CVI.
  • Amz86
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Amz86 - & welcome to the community. From what I can see, it may be worth asking a decision maker to look at this (a Mandatory Reconsideration). This from the Advice for Decision Maker's Guide:
    'UC and award of other benefits
    A4-220 In the case of UC where the claimant or a member of their family becomes entitled to another relevant benefit, ceases to be entitled or the rate of another such benefit alters then the superseding decision takes effect from the first day of the assessment period in which entitlement to the other benefit or an alteration in it’s rate arises or entitlement ends.'
    So, altho you're normally supposed to inform the DWP within a month of any change, I don't believe that's the case here.
    If you were already getting the lower rate of the disabled child element due to your son's VI (if he was receiving the lower or middle rate of DLA for example) this might be worth mentioning in your MR, & send a copy of his CVI.
    Thank you for the advice 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.