PiP f2f assessment next week, can I take new evidence? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PiP f2f assessment next week, can I take new evidence?

lili8719
lili8719 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I have a f2f assessment next week and a few things changed since I sent in my form, I'm under the care of community mental health, a nurse, psychiatrist and dietician and also have a referral for an autism diagnosis, is there any point writing down all the new evidence and giving it to the assessor? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no harm in taking extra evidence, if it states exactly how your conditions affect you. Though the referral for the ASD diagnosis may not help because PIP isn't about a diagnosis and it's just a referral, waiting lists for this are huge.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    If any of the new evidence has relevance to the PIP descriptors; please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/      then there is certainly no harm doing as you suggest. Personally I took one letter with me that I hadn't been able to get in time, & the assessor took it quite happily.
    Do remember PIP isn't about any diagnosis, rather how you're affected on a day to day basis by your disabilities, so the fact that you have a referral for an autism diagnosis isn't relevant, & this is also in the future, & it's about how you are at the time of your assessment. Good luck with the f2f. :)
  • lili8719
    chiarieds said:
    If any of the new evidence has relevance to the PIP
    Do remember PIP isn't about any diagnosis, rather how you're affected on a day to day basis by your disabilities, so the fact that you have a referral for an autism diagnosis isn't relevant, & this is also in the future, & it's about how you are at the time of your assessment. Good luck with the f2f. :)
    Thanks, and well it backs up what i put in the form I guess? Like I'm under their care due to depression and suicidal intentions and also have eating problems so I think it backs all that up?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lili8719 - that does sound like it backs up what you've put on your claim form. Sorry, I was posting at the same time as Poppy, but hadn't realised. We both think the same, that the only thing that won't be helpful is a future referral for an autism diagnosis. Hoping all goes well.
  • lili8719
    There's no harm in taking extra evidence, if it states exactly how your conditions affect you. Though the referral for the ASD diagnosis may not help because PIP isn't about a diagnosis and it's just a referral, waiting lists for this are huge.
    Ok thanks, do you think it would be better to send it after I get the assessors report then? Or would they add it to my claim? I'm expecting to appeal anyways but unsure if they'll add it 
  • poppy123456
    Why would you wait until after the assessment is complete? If you have extra evidence that you think is relevant then either send copies to the assessment provider before the assessment or take it with you to the assessment. You should ideally send copies to DWP as well.
    What makes you think you will need to appeal? Lots of people successfully claim PIP with no problems at all. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lili8719
    Why would you wait until after the assessment is complete? If you have extra evidence that you think is relevant then either send copies to the assessment provider before the assessment or take it with you to the assessment. You should ideally send copies to DWP as well.
    What makes you think you will need to appeal? Lots of people successfully claim PIP with no problems at all. 
    I know people who had to go to tribunal to get pip and then died a few months after winning.. my problems are all mental issues and things like not eating, I've been 32 stone and then 12 stone which at my height is under weight, but now I'm a normal weight but not eating again so they'll obviously say I don't have problems even tho I have a mental health team and dietician etc. So I'm prepared to fight them even tho I'm mega stressed. I meet nearly all the descriptors but when I've seen people not even physically be able to walk and then die shortly after being rejected I obviously aren't optimistic.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that you've known people who've died after attending a PIP tribunal @lili8719. I'm sure that must be very difficult for you to cope with at times. Have you received any support for your grief, or for your mental health more widely? 

It's important to remember that, although some people do unfortunately have negative experiences when applying for PIP, many people don't have so much of a bad experience. Best wishes for your assessment this week, if you haven't had it yet!

You may also find scrolling down to the bottom of this page on the Benefits and Work website and reading the additional information helpful. In particular, the section on fluctuating conditions.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • lili8719
    Thank you, I am under the care of a CMHT atm receiving help from them, and as for my topic I'm just gonna take new evidence and hand it to them I wrote the descriptors out and added new things not on my form and I'll ask them to add it all to my claim as well as a letter from my CMHT hopefully it'll all be added in the future incase I need to appeal.
  • lili8719
     If you have extra evidence that you think is relevant then either send copies to the assessment provider before the assessment or take it with you to the assessment.
    I have now done this and wrote the descriptors out and added more information on how I'm affected in relation to the descriptors, and also a letter from CMHT and my new meds, I've also sent it off to the dwp. They have to accept all new information and read it/add it to my claim at the assesment right?
  • poppy123456
    It should be added to your claim pack. Once the report has been returned to DWP the decision maker should look at all evidence before making their decision, which includes the assessment report because it's part of your evidence.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.