PLASTIC STRAWS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PLASTIC STRAWS

JustPete
JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
edited November 2021 in Coffee lounge
So, what are people doing with the END of the PLASTIC STRAWS era?

Paper ones just don't work........

Has anyone found a good 'chewable' solution?
I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    As much as I support the environmentally friendlier alternative, I don't enjoy drinking with the new paper straws, they turn to mush in your mouth after a while.

I haven't found a chewable solution :) But I do have a water bottle with a solid plastic straw built into it so I can just remove, wash and re-use it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • JustPete
    Have you tried the silicone ones?  I haven't, but worry about their hygiene.........
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I have not @JustPete, would be interested to hear from somebody who has!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I haven't used the silicone ones either @JustPete. I've seen quite a few people using the metal ones with removable silicone tips though, which might be a bit easier to clean? I carry metal ones around with me as I like drinking through straws, but agree they're definitely not chewable :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • JustPete
    @Tori_Scope   Coffee & Tea & Brandy (at different times of course  :p ) through metal?

• JustPete
    @Teddybear12 @Tori_Scope Order through AMAZON I'm guessing?

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I’ve had no issues with paper straws to be honest, all seem to do the job for me when I have been given one with a drink I have purchased. 
  • JustPete
    @Teddybear12 I don't chew unless I'm deep in thought or stressing watching my football team! :#:#

• Tori_Scope
    I imagine you could get them on Amazon, yes @JustPete :) I Googled them and it came up with a few different options for buying. 

I don't drink my hot drinks with a straw, but I don't mind a cold coffee through a straw! I'm not a brandy drinker, but I probably wouldn't drink that with a straw either :D 

• JustPete
    I imagine you could get them on Amazon, yes @JustPete :) I Googled them and it came up with a few different options for buying. 

I don't drink my hot drinks with a straw, but I don't mind a cold coffee through a straw! I'm not a brandy drinker, but I probably wouldn't drink that with a straw either :D 
    You have no idea what you are missing!

• Tori_Scope
    Maybe I'll try some to warm me up during these colder months @JustPete :D 

Brightness