DLA question ?? I'm worried my son won't get DLA as they haven't been in touch with his school — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA question ?? I'm worried my son won't get DLA as they haven't been in touch with his school

Baileyxxx
Baileyxxx Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, 
I applied for DLA for my 5 year old son in Early July- My child has visual problems, quite a bad speech disorder, learning difficulties and asthma. 
Ive sent off a lot of evidence I have about these issues and got CAD team who works with my child too write the statement about my son. My worry is I phoned DLA last week who had said the claim is now with the decision maker - I’ve contacted the school and CAD team asking if DLA have phoned them or been in contact and they haven’t. When I’ve looked online it’s says that it’s pretty much mandatory for dla to contact school. And luckily enough school are fully aware of the help my child needs so they are extremely supportive but have they not been in contact because there is no chance at all that his been accepted any advice would be great I’m so stressed about it all ! 
Thank you xx 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    They don’t always contact anyone for any evidence and it doesn’t mean anything other than they haven’t contacted anyone. 
    Once the decision is made if you’re not happy then you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Baileyxxx
    @poppy123456 thank you! 
    Been stressing me out as I did proberly the wrong thing and googled it ??‍♀️ 
  • Baileyxxx
    @Username_removed thanks for the reply, 
    I added everyday examples of the help my child needs, 2 of the main is his speech as he cannot speak a word clear so people don’t understand him. He has communication cards to help people including the school, he also has nerve damage and severe astigmatism in his eyes and photophobia, I added how this effects him every single day, the school senco his under have been amazing and I’m very greatful ive had a good system as I no not many people do, I had a meeting last week and senco had said that if dla had contacted she would of explained all the needs my child has, my child is quite behind in schooling and cannot read or write, I have noted all of this in his dla claim also he doesn’t know dangers so I have to have eyes in the back of my head, it’s just a waiting game now hopefully it’s not too much longer as I know they are so back logged due to covid 

• Baileyxxx
    @mikehughescq, yeah I completely understand what your saying, I was just really worried because when I googled it it said that dla always contact the school, so I was then thinking why has this not been the case, my son is under CAHMS also his under a lot of agencies outside of school so I’ve added all the statements in the only one I couldn’t include is the newest speech disorder therapy as it wasn’t available when I sent it all off, but I did include the woman’s details if they needed confirmation but it seemed they didn’t unless that’s my responsibility but I did state that I hadn’t had access too it 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.