Hi, my name is Les! We've recently started claiming benefits, and have found it a minefield — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Les! We've recently started claiming benefits, and have found it a minefield

Les525
Les525 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
Hello everyone. Thank you for letting me join your community. My wife and I have recently found ourselves having to claim benefits. We have never claimed them before and have found the process to be a minefield of repeated questions and waiting for someone to commit to answers. We have sought help from  the C.A.B, however we are still caught in the vast network of uncertainty. 

Comments

• Les525
    Thank you Teddy bear. We have filled in more forms than I care to mention and sent them off. I have many questions to ask, I thank you for your message; it is great to know I've happened upon a community of knowledgeable people. thank you.  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Les525 - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. As Teddybear12 says, we have members who can often advise about benefits if needed at any stage, so do let us know. Unfortunately currently the waiting times for claims is long, about 10 months from claiming to getting a decision with PIP, for example.
    I wonder if you're claiming all the benefits that you may be entitled to? People don't always know what these may be for, as you say, it can be a minefield!
    Anyway, just to let you know this community is very supportive, which I hope you find. :)
  • Les525
    Hello Chiarieds, Thank you for the welcome. I will draw up a list of my questions and ask them over a period of time. Thank you for your support. It is most welcome.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community from me too 

Benefits are a minefield to get your head around and constant wait for decisions but there are some very knowledgeable members here that can help and along with cab that can help as well 
  • Les525
    Thank you Janer. I am feeling a little more supported than before. Thank you for your welcome. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    @Les525 welcome to scope from me also, claiming benefits for the first time really is a nightmare, CAB can be helpful but I always found welfare rights to be more so, the link below might be useful:

https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Les525
    Thank you for this Link Woodbine. It certainly will be useful. This community has prompted me to create a folder of all relevant paperwork and get it in some sort of order. Thank you so much for the welcome and the info.
    Les  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Les525 :) I'm glad that you feel a bit more supported, and have a plan to make yourself feel a bit more organised. Navigating the benefits system can definitely feel overwhelming and confusing, so please do feel free to ask any questions you might have, as the others have said.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.