My son has ASD and social anxiety. He can't manage at college, and support from them didn't work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has ASD and social anxiety. He can't manage at college, and support from them didn't work

Options
nis123
nis123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in Education
I've just added myself and hope I could get some advice .my son has asd and social anxiety he crnt manage to access a college environment as its to large of a class. He dsnt have an ehcp buy college dis say they would put support in place but that didn't work 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @nis123 :) Thanks for joining, and for asking your question.

I've moved your post into our education category so that members with some experience of this will be able to find your post more easily. 

What kind of support did the college put in place? What kind of support do you think would help your son to succeed at college? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • nis123
    nis123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    We are struggling to get hom in as his anxiety is so high  he had one 2one in class but like I say he had to leave as he was sick
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nis123

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear things are really tough for both of you. Anxiety can definitely be horrible to experience - especially if it is making him sick. Have you talked to the college about alternative supports they could put in place to support him more effectively? Colleges are often open to discussions with families. Additionally, is applying for an EHCP something you have considered? 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness