Using emails for DLA evidence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Using emails for DLA evidence

cluody
cluody Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son’s occupational therapist contacted me by email a lot and some of what they said would be very good evidence for my son’s claim. Am I allowed to use the contents of an email? Do I quote or just print and send it? I can’t ask the ot as they retired last month and still waiting to be assigned a new one. I have ot reports but the emails have like actual observed examples of things and also explain why therapy won’t work (which would help explain why we don’t have many professionals involved)  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Rather than using "some of what was said" you are better off printing all the email and send the whole thing. Just sending part of it, would look rather odd.
    Though the best evidence you can send will always be your own anecdotal evidence, real world examples of what happened the last time they attempted that activity.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cluody
    It has an email signature like all nhs emails which says you can’t disclose, copy or distribute information in the email and to do so is prohibited and potentially unlawful. Does that mean I can’t use it?
    The OT said in good detail exactly why the therapy and treatment won’t work for my son and how he will not be able to engage or cope with it and I just thought it would be better evidence to have that from a medical professional rather than my own assertion 
  • cluody
    The observed examples are specifically related to the DLA questions, it talks about seeing him try and do his own hair and how he is with dressing and undressing and the stuff I mostly want to use is their comments on my son’s communication and their interaction together. 
    Also the comments they made about why therapy won’t work for my son.
    I have no problem including the whole email discussion exchange, but mostly it wasn’t relevant (changing appointment dates and stuff).

The privacy wording says:

“If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.”

So does that mean I can’t use it anyway?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cluody and welcome to the forum! I hope you've found other member's advice useful.

Have you had any luck checking with your occupational therapist about using the email? It sounds like there's some really excellent observed examples in there for evidence.

Do let us know how you get on, and if you fancy just some general chat you are welcome to explore the Coffee Lounge.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.