I retired on ill health earlier this year. I get ESA, am I entitled to SDP etc.? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I retired on ill health earlier this year. I get ESA, am I entitled to SDP etc.?

kendall
kendall Community member Posts: 6 Connected
I retired on ill health earlier this year after 33 yrs.  Although I get the ESA benefit I'm not sure if I am entitled to Servere Disabilty premium ect.  
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

To get sdp you need to get pip daily living element and live on your own or with other people who also get pip , dla 

Also nobody can be claiming carers payment for caring for you 
  • kendall
    Thank you for your help Janer1967.  I do get enhanced PIP on both care and mobility.  My husband doesn't work, he gets standard PIP. and also Carers allowance for caring for me.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi,
    Is your ESA New Style ESA? if so then there are no disability premiums payable with this. If your ESA claim started after December 2018 then it will very likely be New style ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kendall
    I started getting new style ESA in April this year.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    Thanks for confirming that. As advised, there's no disability premiums payable on this because it's a contributions based only benefit.
    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you're claiming tax credits, a claim for UC will end that claim. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=71d7330d-1fad-48d2-858c-6d1188fa8c6f
    You will need to claim UC with your partner because it's a means tested benefit. The carers allowance they're claiming will also be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    Your ESA will be deducted from any UC entitlement. Have you had the work capability assessment yet for your ESA claim? If so then what was the decision on that please?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kendall
    I didnt have to go to a work capacity assessment as they had enough medical evidence from my doctor. I was then sent a letter saying that I was entitled to ESA.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    You were entitled to claim it because of your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. Have you been placed into either the WRAG or the Support Group? You will need to fill out this form to be assessed, have you done this? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/975770/esa50-capability-for-work-questionnaire.pdf
    If you're in the Support Group you will be receiving £114.10 per week.

• kendall
    Yes I receive  that amount per week as I am in the support group.
  • poppy123456
    This means that if you claim UC you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. Your partner should report being your carer so the carers element can be added to your claim.
    If you can't use the benefits calculator then you should get a full benefits check from an agency near you.

• kendall
    Ok, thank you very much for your help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.