Black Friday - 26th November — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Black Friday - 26th November

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger

I thought I would start a thread about Black Friday. 

How do you feel about Black Friday? Are you excited or not bothered?

Do you usually pick up any bargains?

Do you think it is worth looking forward to? Or, is it just an event that retailers use to shift tat that they can’t sell normally?

For me: I have all my Christmas shopping done but I have a few personal purchases I intend to make. I have a policy of not buying anything that’s not on offer (unless it’s bread or milk etc.) and check these products regularly to see if they on offer; so I will check to see if they are on offer on the 26th. I won’t be buying anything I wasn’t previously intending to buy, though.

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 537 Pioneering
    Options
    I hate shopping normally, but I hate shopping even more around christmas and blackfriday. Shops are a sensory overload for me, with music playing, the crowds, the brass bands playing and everyone seems so stressed and not themselves.

However I do like blackfriday online shopping and will try get a few things I need around then, as I always have some money saved up for it. I think its good and bad, like for instance theres is alot of old rubbish shops and amazon are trying to get rid off, but amonst them is a few gems.

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I enjoy Black Friday but not as much as a few years ago, I miss it being just a one day or weekend event rather than the month-long event it has become. 

These days I don't notice much difference between Black Friday and other sales, unless I go to smaller retailers or independent shops. The big websites seem to just put things on sale that I'd never want, or don't have deals I consider to be worth it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Don't need anything in particular this year but I'll keep an eye out online just in case. 

Black 'Friday' seems to last for weeks now as mentioned above.  There are regular sales throughout the year so I also rarely buy anything at full price.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Many retailers already have "pre" black Friday offers which is a joke, although I do remember one of the first black Friday sales in the UK they were literally fighting over cut price TV's in Asda (other supermarkets are avaliable).
    It might be an idea to use this thread to share good deals we find either before on on the "day".
    Personally I doubt I will be buying anything i didn't already plan to buy.

ETA hotukdeals.com will be a great place to find details of black Friday deals.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Options
    I tend to agree with everyone.

I think Black Friday, like cashback sites, is a useful tool if you want/need something anyway, but I wouldn’t buy something I didn’t already want just because it’s on offer.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @woodbine sharing any decent deals is a good shout :)

• 66Mustang
    edited November 2021
    Options
    To those who don’t like sales, what is it you don’t like? I’m with you on not liking products you don’t want being pushed, and I would never buy something just because it’s on sale, but if it’s something you do need/want anyway then surely money saved is a good thing?

Quite recently I’d been after a pair of jeans of a certain brand for several months so I checked each week or so and eventually got them for £50 rather than £80.

I accept I lost out on several months’ ownership of the jeans for the sake of £30.

Am I doing it wrong - should I have just bought them at £80 and enjoyed them for longer?

Maybe I’m just a miser :D 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    Like most people I like a good bargain, but I tend to replace things when needed (broken) so I don't buy just for the sake of it and rarely wait for the sales. 

The only exception I make to this are large furniture items such as beds, sofa etc as these can usually last a while when coming to the end of their natural life before being replaced.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Fair enough Mike. 

Thinking back, some of my wisest (or luckiest) large purchases were full price, and have gone up in price since I bought them and I could realise a profit if I wanted to!

I am with you on camping outside or queuing to get into a shop.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,849 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I look for offers on bluray etc and star wars goodies, already got most of the presents needed for this year, i like the black friday deals
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,873 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If I needed something then I would buy it. I don't go out my way on black Friday unless I'm pricing something up i want. I'm all for the lowest price or sale when I buy.i prefer  not to pay full price and will do comparisons.

Brightness