Job advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Job advice

Options
klj1204
klj1204 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello all 

I have been at my current work place for a long time working part-time. Now please don't get me wrong I'm very grateful that I have a job and understand it is difficult to obtain one especially with a disability. However my current work place I have been trying to leave for 6 and a half years with no joy.

They are not really catering for me as a person or the fact that I am wheelchair user but any chance they get I'm put front and stage to display how diverse they are. (It doesn't help that they only way I obtained the job is through the Prince's trust- regular applying was not successful)

Ideally being a wheelchair user and studying human resources in university I feel like an office job would be ideal. I have applied for countless jobs had people look and rework my CV. Offer to volunteering ( even offered to volunteer at my company's head office just to gain some experience) which was rejected signed up to agencies all of which I never heard from again completely ignoring me

I actually get a bit emotional and embarrassed just due to how hopeless I feel I just want to be able to feel like a valuable part of society but the doors never really open sometimes they may just open a small amount but never enough for me to completely go through.

I'm sorry for the long rant I'm not even sure what I hope to accomplish but it felt good to let out

Thank you for reading

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @klj1204

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out, especially the first time. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing such a tough time with your job. I am just wondering if you have talked to your current employer about reasonable adjustments? It sounds like you would appreciate your current job if it wasn't for feeling taken advantage of without reasonable adjustments. You may also find Scope's employment services beneficial. If you are interested, you can find them at https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/. I hope this helps! However, if you need further support or have any follow-up questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • klj1204
    Options
    Thank you so much @L_Volunteer I have spoken to my company many times they either can't or don't have the financial backing or are very slow so at this point I'd rather not be there it has come to that point. I have also tried support to work but unfortunately it did not help me
  • klj1204
    Options
    @Teddybear12 thank you thank you so much for your kind words it's just I sometimes look at my peers and see how they flourish while sometimes feel like a plant left on a windowsill just getting enough light - but you are right I must banish such thoughts
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @klj1204 - & welcome to the community. You're certainly not ranting, you must just be so frustrated as you've tried in so many ways to find somewhere where you'd enjoy working, be able to use your skills, & most of all be valued.
    I'm sorry that Support to Work didn't help you. Scope has some other info that 'may' help here: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/finding-jobs/#Finding-jobs-click
    The only other thing I can think about is, would there be an appropriate job you could do working from home? There do seem to be more online opportunities now, but perhaps you've already looked into this. My daughter recently made a career change from being an office based travel agent (not the best career just now!) to working from home with online banking. Not exactly your field, but you will have many transferable skills, so I'm wondering if home working in another sector may be possible.

Brightness