Hi, my name is deebz! Will my carers element be backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is deebz! Will my carers element be backdated?

Options
deebz
deebz Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
My mum was finally awarded  PIP, full on mobility and daily living this was backdated from April 2021. 

I am currently on standard 25+ UC and live in Scotland.

I have been caring for her since before the date she applied for PIP.

I have kept my job coach up to date with my caring responsibilities via my journal and also done a change of circumstances to declare I was caring for my mum (didn't receive carers element of UC as my mum wasn't on any benefits at the time) 

Now she is receiving PIP I done another change of circumstances and selected on the option to declare caring that she was now receiving PIP. I also stated that I was caring for her from the 30th of April 2021 to keep it in line with when she received her PIP backdate from. 

I have also applied for carers allowance (I understand that this will be deducted full from my UC but have applied anyway for the NI contributions) 

My question is when I am rewarded carers allowance I'm assuming it will be backdate the 3months that it allows you to backdate it from. Will this money be deducted? Or will I be entitled to keep this? Or will I need to pat back each month? 

I have also requested for the carers element  of UC to be backdated from the 31st of April. Again I'm not sure if this will just be deducted or would I be entitled to keep the money without consequences?

Also how long should I expect to wait to see the carers element appear on my UC "payment" section on my journal?

I have called twice and no a single person is able to help me they must keep telling me to call again and select different number to speak to a different department ?

It's all very confusing, thank you for helping!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    The carers allowance can be backdated to the start of the PIP award, if you applied within 3 months of the date the decision was made on the PIP.
    Providing you weren't earning more than £128 per week (from working) the carers allowance will be backdated and you'll receive the full amount.
    You will then have an overpayment of UC which will need to be repaid back. You can either keep the carers allowance amount and pay back the overpayment in full or there will be a deduction in your UC each month to repay it back.
    The carers element should start from your next UC payment. Backdated money for the carers element could take a few weeks. They will need to recalculate your past statements before they know exactly how much you're owe. You may want to take screenshots of your current statements because once they are recalculated they will replace the old ones.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • deebz
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me! 

I haven't worked since December 2020 so I should be due the full back date from carers allowance, although I plan on paying that back in full amount. 

But what I don't fully understand is the carers element... Will I be classed as entitled to that money or will I also have to pay that part back aswell? 

Is there a reason I should take screenshots of past statements? Will I need proof of them for something? 

Thanks again! I'm new to the full benefit system so it all is a bit confusing ??
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    Options
    You are entitled to the carers element in with your maximum UC entitlement, so you won't have to pay any of that back.
    The reason i suggested taking screenshots of your past statements is purely because once they're recalculated you will no longer be able to see them. Some people like to keep them so they can check they've received the correct amount of backdated money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • deebz
    Options
    I understand now! Thank you so much! I have been trying to get this awnser since Friday! 

I will take screenshots just now and double check when I get the CE backdated! Let's hope it isn't as long as it has taken PIP ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries. Carers Allowance can take between 8-12 weeks. Backdated money for your UC carers element should only take a maximum of a few weeks and will be paid separate to your usual monthly payment.

When you receive the carers allowance the amount deducted from your UC will be £292 per month but you will receive the carers allowance separate to your UC and will be paid either weekly or 4 weekly, which ever you chose when you applied.

In total you will be £163.73 per month better off.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @deebz welcome to the forum. I'm pleased to see your question has been so well answered by our lovely members. Is there anything else we can help with? If so, just shout. 

You're more than welcome to explore the forum if you'd like to, there's plenty of discussions to join in with in categories.

Hope you're having a sunny morning :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.