Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

Options
nasmunch41
nasmunch41 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
So I’ve just got pip at low care high mobility. My son who is 20 a full time student also get pip at both high rates and universal credit non income earned. I get caters allowance for him. I applied for severe disability premium but was only give a disability premium. Why wouldn’t I qualify for severe one all the benefit calculation websites suggest i
should 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you claiming income Support or the old type of ESA? If so and you and your son are the only two adults in your house then you are entitled to the SDP and if you have been refused you should question it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • nasmunch41
    Options
    I am getting income support and yes we are the only two adults. I’m going to give them another call today 
  • nasmunch41
    Options
    Well after another call they have given both premiums but only from 7th aug to 10th sept. I’m now waiting for another call back as to why?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That makes no sense. When you claim Income Support the disability premium is automatically paid. The SDP isn't but you qualify because your son also claim daily living PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nasmunch41
    Options
    Yeah well it’s thrown me. They said I qualify but they started it from 7th august and I didn’t get pip till 11th so I haven’t got a clue whose file they are looking at
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It should be backdated to the start of your PIP award. Same for the SDP providing you qualified at the time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nasmunch41
    Options
    Yeah that’s what I’ve been told by CAB but don’t know what’s going on to be honest   
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nasmunch41 welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear you've been left feeling uncertain. There's often a disconnect in communication with these things, which is frustrating to say the least. 

Let us know when you get that call, and I hope it can all be resolved for you quickly!

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.