Severe disability premium and CONTRIBUTION based ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium and CONTRIBUTION based ESA

Options
chloechamley
chloechamley Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hello, 

just a quick question! Does anyone know whether I’d be eligible for the SDP with contribution based ESA? I get exactly the same as I would on income based so just curious, spoke to a few different people at ESA all of which had a different answer so that wasn’t very helpful! Any help would be much appreciated! Thankyou! Ps I also get PIP! 

Chloe 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    In a previous thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/73057/do-you-receive-new-style-esa-on-top-of-universal-credit#latest You said you claim Universal Credit and were asking about New style ESA, and Universal Credit.
    If you're claiming New style ESA it's a contributions based only benefit and there are no disability premiums payable with this. NsESA pays £114.10 per week, which is less than Income Based ESA, which pays £131.30 per week (single person)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chloechamley
    Options
    On my letter it says “your income related amount is… £114.10 however because you are entitled to CBESA so we will pay you £114.10” so not too sure how that works but don’t know if that helps anything? Does this make any sense to you?
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    Options
    ESA letters are extremely difficult to understand. The amouint you're receiving is Contributions based amount. Do you claim Universal Credit as well, as the other thread suggests?
    If you don't claim UC and your ESA claim started after December 2018 then it's likely to be new style ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chloechamley
    Options
    I do yeah, I think I get £160 a month ish. They are insanely difficult to understand??‍♀️ Makes my brain hurt thinking about it. I’m not trying to scam or scrounge money I’m just struggling so I thought if I’m entitled then why not give it a go. 
  • chloechamley
    Options
    Would it make any more sense if I posted a picture of that page?? 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I do yeah, I think I get £160 a month ish. They are insanely difficult to understand??‍♀️ Makes my brain hurt thinking about it. I’m not trying to scam or scrounge money I’m just struggling so I thought if I’m entitled then why not give it a go. 
    As you are also claiming UC your ESA is most definitely New Style ESA. This means there’s no disability premiums payable as previously advised. 
    There no need to post a picture of the letter. 
    Are you claiming council tax reduction as well? This isn’t part of UC and needs to be claimed separately.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.