Hi! Recently been looking at claiming PIP but the DWP won't even acknowledge the claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi! Recently been looking at claiming PIP but the DWP won't even acknowledge the claim

Options
camboyle85
camboyle85 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone! I'm Cameron, from Leicester and I am an autistic woman in my thirties. Recently been looking at claiming PIP but the DWP won't even acknowledge the claim because my ASD hasn't been reassessed since I was 26. I'm also struggling to get an assessment, I keep getting passed from pillar to post. It was hard enough to get a diagnosis in the first place but despite having one & the fact that everyone can 'see it', I still have to go through the same process again just to make life a little easier. Why do we have to fight so damn hard for the things we are entitled to, with the very people who tell us we're entitled to this stuff? I just don't understand & I don't think I ever will.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,981 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi,

Why won't DWP acknowledge your PIP claim? PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.
    Do you mean you applied for PIP but went through the claims process and were refused?
    Once you've been diagnosed with ASD you won't have another assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @camboyle85 and welcome to the community! You'll find it's full of people who have had similar experiences as well as a lot of knowledge, and are very supportive. Citizen's Advice might be able to help as well.

You might be interested in Scope's campaign, 'Disability benefits without the fight', which is calling for fairer assessments and to give disabled people the right to request an assessor who understands their condition. I know you've not reached that stage yet, but it might be worth taking a look.

If you do need anything please let us know, and I hope you can get your PIP claim underway. 
    Thanks for reaching out, and don't be afraid to keep asking questions. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 532 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Welcome to the community,

I have autism and never heard of anyone being reassessed for it, you can't have autism for a few years and then suddenly be cured. You can mask your symtoms and learn to cope with it, but things arn't going to change.

Also like poppy said I don't get why DWP would refuse your claim or ask for a reassessment of your ASD before claiming as its not about diagnosis, although how your condition affects you on a daily basis. I would speak to DWP again and get further information on why you can't claim, as these things don't make sense and shouldn't bar you from making a claim.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sound's like the OP received a PIP refusal letter which stated something like 'no new input for Autism' as a reason for rejection.  

People often focus too much on the excuses written in that letter and try to justify or eradicate them in the MR, I know I did the first time...  The best thing to do is ignore the letter and just try to better explain your experiences specifically regarding the PIP descriptor tasks for the MR/Tribunal.  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Oh @Alex_Scope - you said, 'You might be interested in Scope's campaign, 'Disability benefits without the fight', which is calling for fairer assessments and to give disabled people the right to request an assessor who understands their condition.' Is this appropriate?
    We've had some discussions about this before you joined; myself, & another that has more knowledge than I, have both questioned this. For example, many of the members that join have both physical & mental health problems, so which assessor do they see, presuming sufficient mental health care professionals could be recruited, who perhaps know about every mental health condition? Conversely for those 'just' with physical problems, yet they have more than one condition, & many members have several, whom would they see? Which health care professional?
    Such questions, however, would miss the point that PIP assessments for example, are not 'medical' assessments, rather looking at a person's functional ability to be able to 'reliably' (i.e. safely, to an appropriate standard, repeat as often as would normally be expected, & in a reasonable period of time ) do any PIP activity/descriptor that applies to them.
    I would ask you to kindly read through the link you have given, as this is misdirecting claimants away from the importance of a well completed claim form, & erroneously concentrating on assessments, or perhaps those that Scope suggest, thank you.

• Alex_Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @chiarieds thanks for your feedback and letting me know about previous discussions, you raise some very interesting points.

I've double checked today, and can let you know that this feedback has been raised with the Policy team.
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @Alex_Scope - Adrian had mentioned this previously, but good to have it confirmed.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    @chiarieds you're very welcome, I know exactly what you mean :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.